Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contingency Planning - Return to the days of old?

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    They just came out and said yesterday 4-2-20, that you can spread the virus by just breathing and talking.
    And you should cover your mouth & nose with a scarf or something when going outside near people.

After being inside for a couple of weeks I drove to the grocery store.
    I freaked out when I had the vent fan on in the car, it was blowing air in my face.
    I pushed the recirculate button to recirculate the air in the car rather than bringing in air from outside.

The check out lady at the grocery store said because I brought in my own paper bags, I had to bag my own groceries.

This is getting weirder by the minute.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 04-03-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Does anyone on here personally know someone that has the virus, not just symptoms, but the actual Coronavirus ? Supposedly there are cases at the hospital where my wife works, (ground zero for S.C.) but she hasn't seen them, and they have sent so many employees home she said it's like a ghost town. Just wondering out loud.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Does anyone on here personally know someone that has the virus, not just symptoms, but the actual Coronavirus ? Supposedly there are cases at the hospital where my wife works, (ground zero for S.C.) but she hasn't seen them, and they have sent so many employees home she said it's like a ghost town. Just wondering out loud.
    Bob

I have a friend in Detroit, has AFIB and stage 3 kidney problem. she is in 10th day of the virus. Doctor said if it got worse to call hospital. Fever broke last night after a week of fever, sleepless nights and aches. All in all, she is on the mend.

Bill L

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Well, in the vein of wishful thinking, IF AV20 is cancelled (and I think it will) and IF conditions improve so that travel and social distancing restrictions are lifted at some point before the Fall, then I'm all for an "old-school" fly-in convention like EAA used to have. If vendors can attend, great but not required. If folks can't make it -- no worries, see ya in 2021. No one said that a grass-roots convention has to duplicate a regular AirVenture. With just some modest logistics support, it could be done and could be a lot of fun.

I sort of miss the early days on light crowds, not so much jet noise and people who were actually interested and amazed by home built airplanes and old fashion aerobatics. very few vendors that actually sold aviation merchandise and no furniture. Also, if you had an aviation certificate, you got in for free.
    Guess I been going there too long LOL

Don’t you mean could access the flight line??? And everyone referred to as the convention.

I didn’t make my first show until 1977 even though I joined in 72. Took my dad. We arrived on opening day and we were camper unit 101 and car camped in what was then called the North 40, now the Homebuilt exhibit area. The Blue Barn was an equipment shed that was repurposed to a country store. Live entertainment like the Whistler and old aviation movies were shown in the Theater in the Woods. And yes it very much had a friendlier family feel.

The Marines ensured I didn’t get back until 85. Even the late 80s weren’t too bad. It all seemed to start changing when rebranded as AirVenture. The growth was good for EAA financially and as a lobby organization but the old guard never liked the changes.

Here in Georgia the state went into lock down mode at 1800 local. They locked the gates on all the state and county parks and we can’t even go RC flying. Really, wants the world coming to.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I had a fraternity brother that died this week in OKC from the coronavirus---healthy until he got sick
    this hit very close to home. This stuff is real. I retired Jan 1. Glad I no longer see patients.
    This would be my 27th year in a row to go to Oshkosh. I usually fly up in May for a work weekend
    I'm starting to feel like a 7 year old thats been told there would be no Christmas.

Glad she is doing better sky, has she been taking the med that are recomended?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Bob
    Yep. A guy (ex-navy) I worked for one summer when I was in school died earlier this week. My employer has also had multiple positive testings in its manufacturing facilities, driving several facility closures, clean-ups, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    They just came out and said yesterday 4-2-20, that you can spread the virus by just breathing and talking.
    And you should cover your mouth & nose with a scarf or something when going outside near people.

<snip>

This is getting weirder by the minute.
    It is getting weirder by the minute. The state of Georgia, just yesterday, basically said stay at home unless you're in a critical line of work. Today, the state re-opened the beaches. Incredibly poor planning and conflicting directives like these are why this thing will continue to torment us for months. So many people think "Can't happen to me" or "Just this once" or whatever, and pretty soon, you have major portions of society doing really dumb things.

My family is trying to be really disciplined and is NOT going to the grocery store to pick up a bag 'o chips. We're making a list and having instacart pick our groceries every week or 10 days, so we can grab 'em without going in the store. And I can live if Instacart selects bruised bananas or forgets the hot dog buns. We'll deal with it next time. But I'm not sure our behavior represents the majority of people.

Kyle, good thing you didn’t experience yesterday afternoon’s events...your head would have exploded.
    I did go out and top off my truck. Hours before the order went into effect the store parking lots were just jammed full. It may have been 78 degrees but Walmart looked like it was Black Friday all over again. Absolutely insane. Just how much pasta, rice, spaghetti sauce and baked beans do ya need? They ain’t buying paper products because there’s none to be had.

Great news paid $1.38/gal, oh there’s no place to go, dang!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun