Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Contingency Planning - Return to the days of old?

IMHO, and I'm trained as an embalmer not an epidemiologist, ONLY three things will put us all back in "normal' contact with each other, total testing, a proven therapeutic drug regimen that easily treats and reduces the symptoms, and a proven, tested vaccine.

There "could" be a slight chance that a drug therapeutic could be discovered and tested in the next 60 days? T
    here isn't a snowball's chance in Hades that a vaccine will appear before AirVenture 2020 dates. And there is barely a chance that the necessary super-fast, accurate, easily self-administered testing protocol can be invented. There then remains the supply chain reality that it is most unlikely that any of those three things could be brought up to the scale needed in time.

On Dec 8th. 1941 Roosevelt NEEDED a war supplies on a global scale manufacturing machine NOW. It wasn't fully functional and in place by May 7th, 1942.... but it WAS created here in America, for Americans and then to help free the world at large. Not an inaccurate parallel to what we face right now battling SARS CoV2, again IMHO.

Just sayin'.

"Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I am truly amazed at some of the posts on this particular thread. I appreciate the eternal optimism about the potential of OSHKOSH 2020 happening. I never did care for the renaming of the annual event to " air venture ", it sounds too much like a business deal. If asked, the majority of old timers will still refer to it as OSHKOSH rather than " air venture.

But that keyword " business " as its linked to " airventure " is just that, " BUSINESS ". Lets not forget that this annual gathering is about money and revenues that can be taken in by the EAA, the element of seeing old friends and enjoying the realm of vintage aircraft and home built's and war birds and forums, is about 4th down the line of what is important. IMHO.

That being said, think about it, there is no way the EAA is going to, at this late date say its going to call it all off for this year. They depend on that annual revenue for the EAA's existence. So indeed, they will wait till the last minute to make any real valid announcement that its a official NO GO for 2020. The ultimate decision will be made by the state of Wisconsin.

After attending this event from 1989 to 2015, I saw a lot of change, and each year the prices of putting all of the logistics together to attend as a vendor at the sea plane base just kept getting out of hand. 2014 was the last year of sales for me, and 2015 was the last time I went to OSHKOSH as a non vendor and it was the last time I got to walk the entire field and see so much that I usually would not get to see by being out at the sea base all week.

As I was walking out the gate to head to the parking lot, I had to take this one last shot of a sign that wasn't too far inside of the gate. It pretty much summed up what a person would be seeing on their way into the main grounds once through the gate. The prices on that sign were from 2015, you can bet all of the prices are higher now. And now add in the specter of " potential death from exposure to a deadly virus " and indeed the price gets much higher.

I know how addicting it can be, to able to go to OSHKOSH year after year, I totally get that. But to think that there is a myriad of ways to avoid this virus and still have large crowds at OSHKOSH, is sheer folly of the deadliest nature!

Be wise and be safe, all of you aviation enthusiast, stay home and just adapt to the fact that NOT attending OSHKOSH this year will be the best decision, financially and common sense wise that you have ever made.

You can bet that the powers that be at EAA are just going nuts trying to figure out what to do next, only a matter of time till the EAA will announce that its cancelled in an official sense, regardless of how the preparations are going at this moment.

You can imagine that if the EAA had its way, it would be selling official " AIR VENTURE " protective particle masks, to be worn on the field, and charging $20.00 each for them, I say that in a tongue in cheek way based purely upon past experiences with how the corporate element of the EAA works.

Name:  EAA OSHKOSH food prices (2).jpg
Views: 766
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  DSC_2902 (2).jpg
Views: 765
Size:  93.2 KB
    Last edited by LUSCOMBE PHANTOM; 04-15-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    ​" Good isn't cheap, and Cheap isn't good "

Quote Originally Posted by LUSCOMBE PHANTOM View Post
    You can imagine that if the EAA had its way, it would be selling official " AIR VENTURE " protective particle masks, to be worn on the field, and charging $20.00 each for them, I say that in a tongue in cheek way based purely upon past experiences with how the corporate element of the EAA works.
    But...but...that's IT! The perfect souvenir for Airventure 2020.

Ron "Guys with big schnozes get the Merlin version" Wanttaja

Imagine a sea of people at OSHKOSH all wearing something with some official EAA logo on it with the date 2020. That immediate recognition from one another that its not a good idea to have a gathering this large!
    Name:  DSC_2861 (2).jpg
Views: 724
Size:  98.4 KBName:  DSC_2853 (2).jpg
Views: 662
Size:  114.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    But...but...that's IT! The perfect souvenir for Airventure 2020.
    Silly me. Turns out there's a company that sells face masks with sectional charts printed on them, for several airports. Oshkosh is one option....this one shows Sun-N-Fun.

https://www.chartitall.com/product-p...hart-face-mask

Ron "Why, yes, I ordered one" Wanttaja

If AV happens they will be the most popular vendor onsite!!! They should make reusable/washable gloves out of their shower curtain material too.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Back in 90, at OSHKOSH, there was a vendor selling " Stealth B-2 Bomber Condoms " They came in a slick black package that was in the shape of the B-2 bomber and the logo said, " they will never hear you coming ".
    The guy was selling them at 1 package for $3.00 and 2 packages for $5.00. They sold out very quickly, he even had white boxer shorts with that same logo on the shorts that he was selling for $10.00 a pair. He was selling outside of the fence and was quickly sold out before the EAA could get to him to shut him down, ( they were pissed that they didn't get a cut of the action ). Northrup Corporation took him to court for copy right infringement. I have two of those packages somewhere in a box, I bought them purely as a collectors item.

What a great country, hula hoops, pet rocks, B-2 stealth bomber condoms, and now a potential novelty sectional mask. Right up there with those little orange wind socks on safety wire that attached to your hat, I always cracked up when ever I saw those on peoples hats.

Gotta give the innovator credit for the sectional masks, but its doubtful that the potential huge crowds of people will ever get to wear them at OSHKOSH 2020. That being said, no doubt online sales will do well. Anything to generate revenue!

why are you posting with such a large font

The reason is, it makes it a hell of lot easier to read the post's than having to squint at the default font, I assume that makes sense to you?

Quote Originally Posted by LUSCOMBE PHANTOM View Post
    The reason is, it makes it a hell of lot easier to read the post's than having to squint at the default font, I assume that makes sense to you?
    With many browsers, you can hit Ctrl and the equals key (plus) to make the web-page larger, or Ctrl and minus to make it smaller. Then you're not dependent on what other people pick for font size.

Ron Wanttaja