Thread: What’s going on in Hurricane, Utah?

What’s going on in Hurricane, Utah?

I was searching the NTSB mishap database and found the town of Hurricane, Utah. There were two plus pages (23 total) of aircraft mishaps listed in the database for that town from 1988 to present. Now, Hurricane had a total population of 17,135 as of 2017, so Statistically speaking, there should be 34 pilots living in that town. Only 11 haven’t crashed. I ain’t moving there, that I can tell you for certain.
    LownSlow

Quote Originally Posted by Stolch View Post
    I was searching the NTSB mishap database and found the town of Hurricane, Utah. There were two plus pages (23 total) of aircraft mishaps listed in the database for that town from 1988 to present. Now, Hurricane had a total population of 17,135 as of 2017, so Statistically speaking, there should be 34 pilots living in that town. Only 11 haven’t crashed. I ain’t moving there, that I can tell you for certain.
    Looking at the airnav page for 1L8, a couple of things stand out.

The notes say "RY 01/19 - PILOTS AT END OF RY CANNOT SEE ACFT AT OTHER END." and "TO PRVD PATTERN SEPARATION FROM GRASSY MEADOWS ARPT, BASE LEG FOR RY 01 SHOULD BE FLOWN NORTH OF GRVL PIT LCTD 1.5 MILES SOUTH OF ARPT."

Grassy Meadows/Sky Ranch, a private airport community, is very close to 1L8, and both airports use the same CTAF (123.05). If you're flying NORDO it would seem to be pretty risky.

According to City-Data.com there are 72 pilots and 38 other airmen in Hurricane, UT.

Last edited by Scooper; 04-06-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Change font and font size
    - Stan Cooper (K4DRD), Private Pilot ASEL, LSR-I, EAA 115792 Lifetime Member, EAA Chapter 124
    Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B, N601KE, KSTS