Thread: Paying for maintenance

Paying for maintenance

It's usual to get a lot of maintenance done over the winter, while the weather is less welcoming to flying and we may have other things to do like skiing or football.
    Their are various theories and preferences about if you try to do some of the work yourself or not. I'm not as good as it as Ray Middleton who has been doing it for 45 years.
    But after the work is done, and you have carefully inspected it and maybe a test flight. What's next? PAY YOUR BILL, fully and promptly. Some a & ps are good at fixing things, but not so good at paperwork, unless they have an office manager to do just that. And they may, like others be operating on a close cash basis, may not have a lot of reserves and have supplier bills to pay along with rent, insurance, etc. We expect top quality work and they can better do it if they are not distracted with past due bills, either owed to them or by them.
    I try to bring a dozen donuts to the line guys sometimes, or some bar b q but they often get the extra catered food from the charter and corporate jets.
    Another thing, some mechs are pilots or airplane owners, but most are not. So offering them a flight may be appreciated.. depending on you reputation, Famous RAF ace Douglas Bader who loved golf even more than flying, once offered his golf caddy a flight in a fighter and the guy declined, "I'll not go up in the air with you, you crazy buggar."
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-22-2020 at 10:05 AM.

I have had a relationship with primarily one a & p and one shop for 36 years, most of my flying life. It's key.