Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Where were the 20's & 30's big round engine vintage aircraft?

Birds of a feather - flock TOGETHER!!! I can remember a few years back when the 70 Knotters flew into Brampton, Ontario. I thought it was really neat.
    Some day Canada will probably recognize the Sport license - and someday perhaps the USA will recognize Canadian aircraft licensed in the "Owner Maintenance" category here....and in the meantime if we could only get our government here in Canada to accept smaller registration marks so we don't have to have everyone set up as a "flying billboard".....
    America perhaps would really make a good move if an Owner Maintenance category was established there.......I had the honour of initiating discussion here on behalf of what is now the RAA (Recreational Aircraft Association.)

Prairie Cottage Airport, 8KS8, Chapman KS
    I own a J-3 and I love it. Now having said that please start a thread and don't hijack this one. I asked for ideas to bring back the pre war big round engine antiques to OSH. Does anyone have any input on that?
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Sorry again. I was just trying to point out that round engine people might want to have a maximum effort every other year or so. Then, the EAA might be better able to work with the group on incentives.
    And, to fly with others to events is much more fun and inviting than to go it alone. The EAA might even provide free web space for that effort as they are for the Cubs at www.cubs2oshkosh.com.
    I am one of the few trying to help here. On the RCGroups web site, they are about to pass 20 million posts! Sadly, very few people post anything here.

Jim,
    I am a young pilot (25) and really like the antique airplanes. Especially the Waco Cabin biplanes and the Stinson Reliants. For me I can't afford to pay a mechanic everytime it needs work. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined and could do most of the mechanicing, but I don't have my A&P. I think a way to attract more antiques back to Osh is to set up some sort of antique A&P liscense. This could be a short course. ie: week, month, etc. This could be something similar to the LSA rulings.

Thanks,
    Kneel
    Last edited by kneel; 01-06-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Insurance

Hi Jim,

Sorry to be slow in getting back to you. The 10 hour requirement is a problem
    because there is only one other Airsedan flying that I am aware of. It has not
    flown recently. It is located in Anoka, Mn. at Golden Wings. The folks there have
    been very helpful with our project.

The good news is that by bundling the plane with two others, we have secured
    liability insurance. The current plan is to try to bring the plane to the show. The
    building it will reside in for the forseeable future is under construction.
    This year is the only possibile show for this plane. I hope to meet you at Osh.

Andy Bowman

Where have the round engine airplanes gone ...

What's sad is that the very "vintage people" who have the money to maintain and fly one of the big pre-war radials are the very same folks who are likely to also have a Malibu or something similar "inappropriate" for Sport Aviation, etc. See the following comment to understand why I say this:

Nonsense. I own one of those "round engine antique" airplanes that you speak of. In fact I own three of them. I used to fly them all regularly also. Then my hangar caught fire and now I am in the process of restoring them all over again. Yes, I restored them myself. I can't afford to hire someone to do work that I can do myself. Wouldn't if I could. Part of the joy of owning these airplanes is in the restoration. Keep them alive for another generation.

Yes, I am getting older. My next physical is due when I am 74. I expect to pass it without any problems. No, I don't own a mirage. Besides my airplanes, my other vehicle is a 1990 Toyota Celica. If I couldn't work on my own airplanes, I couldn't afford to own them. It is a real handicap to jot around the country in a wonderful, comfortable, stable old taildragger that burns $150 an hour in gas and oil and cruises at a resounding 100 knots. With my restricted budget I don't fly as much as I used to do. Can't afford the gas and oil. I had to drop my insurance because the insurance companies became totally unreasonable several years ago. Anything I could do to the airplane and survive I could fix for less than a years insurance cost! Unfortunately, I hadn't expected my hangar to catch fire and reduce all of my airplanes to restoration projects at one time.

Currently I have one of my airplanes flying. It isn't fancy and it doesn't have a round engine, but it does give me something to fly.

In short, I can no longer afford to go to "Airventure" with my airplane, or without it for that matter.

I can only tell you why I have quit. Cost! Why is it that if I fly my Aeronca L16 and park it in the warbirds section I get free admission for the week but if I fly my Radial Stinson and park it in the antique area I pay? Either way it is still a very expensive trip but at least I don't feel like a second class citizen.

Thank you Flyguysr5 for finally shedding a little light on a Warbird perk. I have been asking EAA Staff what perks were offered to Warbirds and never received an answer back. I have spoken with a large number of big round engine flyers over the last year and the one constant I get is, "I just don't feel the love" and I think that hits the nail on the head.

I have run a very successful retail business the last 30 years and let me put something into perspective. When I give a customer who spends a great deal with or recommends my company a special incentive it isn't about the money. Its about how they feel appreciated. I will drop a couple grand to bring my Waco and attend Airventure because I enjoy it. Could we get more big round engine pre war antiques to Airventure if EAA offered a free entry wristband? Absolutely YES! And here is the important part, IT AINT ABOUT THE MONEY, IT'S ABOUT FEELING THE LOVE.

Okay now, we've talked about it, cussed it and discussed it. Now we can see what happens in the antique area. I'll be there, and I wish my invitation were enough to bring everyone back, but the ball is in EAA's court. I hope in the future they do something to encourage the big antique owners to return, but please don't ask me what you should do. This aint rocket surgery.
    Jim Clark, Chairman National Biplane Fly In, www.nationalbiplaneflyin.com. Currently flying: 1929 Waco CSO, 1939 Waco EGC-8, 1946 Piper J-3, 1955 Piper PA22/20, 1956 Beech G35, 1984 Beech A36 & 2001 Vans RV9.
    You love a lot of things if you live around them, but there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, nor any before nor any after, that is as lovely as a great airplane, and men who love them are faithful to them even though they leave them for others.
    - Ernest Hemingway

In the last week I have spoken to a number of round engine drivers who are planning to bring their 20's and 30's Vintage aircraft to Airventure 2012. The biggest factors mentioned by these owner pilots are 1) Jeff Skiles attending the National Biplane Fly In in Junction City, KS. 2). Rod Hightower attending the American Waco Club Fly In in Creve Coure and 3) The Grass Runway availability at KOSH. Paul said it best when he said about the EAA, "We're not about airplanes, we're about people." When the effort is made to meet, invite and accommodate a group of aviators it doesn't go unnoticed. Looking forward to seeing e everyone at the big show.
    - Ernest Hemingway

Paul said it best when he said about the EAA, "We're not about airplanes, we're about people." When the effort is made to meet, invite and accommodate a group of aviators it doesn't go unnoticed. Looking forward to seeing e everyone at the big show.
    Amen Jim. See you in a couple of weeks. Fly safe.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.