Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: To the EAA - it's OK if you have to cancel AirVenture 2020

However, the outbreak in Wisconsin has (so far) been minor".

And THAT is the insidious thing about this particular virus, the difference between minor issues and all out plague panic is a mere two weeks' incubation and subsequent run on the hospital ICUs.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    All valid points of course - But neither you nor I will be the ones needing liability insurance for the event. All the individual vendors, exhibitors, dealers, food service staffs etc.etc.etc. not to mention EAA itself WILL be "on the hook" for potential negligence lawsuits two weeks after AirVenture closes. I'm thinking the TV commercials for "Dewey, Cheatem and Howe" almost write themselves ...... "Did you attend Oshkosh? Feeling ill? Need a check? Call our claim professionals today. We're here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to serve YOU."
    How could they possibly prove they contracted Covid-19 while at AirVenture? How does anyone prove where they got it? Doors? Gas pumps? Handling canned goods in a grocery store? A DVD from Redbox? Currency? A touchpad at checkout? From tainted food at a drive through? Unless you can see it by shining a blacklight or similar device on it it's anyone's guess where it is hiding. Covid 19 will not keep me away from AirVenture. Dogs, on the other hand, are a completely different matter..............

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Ron, do you have a source for this comment: "Right now, all summer's public events in the State of Washington have been canceled, and that's similar to other states. However, the outbreak in Wisconsin has (so far) been minor".

We are not yet sure if our RC club can hold a Fun -Fly event this summer. (mid June or later)
    You're right, I've overstated that. Just about everything immediate is cancelled, but I haven't heard what organizations like Seafair are going to do for events deeper into the summer. It's different for the Seattle/Tacoma area, of course; eastern part of the state is probably going to see fewer cancellations. None of this is government-related; it's all the decisions of the organizations themselves.

All organizations will need to balance the expenditure needed to hold the event vs. the expected revenue when people are skittish about potential infections.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Franck View Post
    How could they possibly prove they contracted Covid-19 while at AirVenture? How does anyone prove where they got it? Doors? Gas pumps? Handling canned goods in a grocery store? A DVD from Redbox? Currency? A touchpad at checkout? From tainted food at a drive through? Unless you can see it by shining a blacklight or similar device on it it's anyone's guess where it is hiding. Covid 19 will not keep me away from AirVenture. Dogs, on the other hand, are a completely different matter..............
    Had a similar case about twenty-five years ago. The group I worked with went out for a Friday Christmas party at a private room in a local hotel. The following Monday, there were a lot of folks out sick. Shrug it off; it was the cold and flu season. Gone Tuesday, too. Started trickling back on Wednesday. Comparing notes, they all realized they had the same gastrointestinal upset. We realized this was probably food poisoning.

The hotel basically waved their hands and said, "prove it." And we couldn't really...all the physical evidence was long gone, including what people had upchucked and otherwise voided over the weekend.

Quite possibly, we could have pursued this... tried to find other folks who eaten there that Friday. But no one died; no one had a permanent health loss.

Covid-19 is different. A lot of effort is being spent to track the spread. If two people in a small town come down with it, and they'd both been to Oshkosh in the previous two weeks, the people who track these things are going to look closer.

Remember, the Airventure attendees probably won't catch it from Oshkosh locals, but from other attendees. That means Oshkosh itself may see spike in cases. If a huge Covid-19 outbreak starts in the city of Oshkosh a week after the show ends, that'll be pointing a great big finger at EAA. And there'll be more attention paid to the people who visited there. Contact tracing will be engaged, and every person the lawyers trace who were at Oshkosh and brought it home to their families will be queried.

At that point, the emphasis will center on whether EAA had sufficient safeguards in place. ALWAYS easy to show how they were circumvented, ignored, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

The problem is that EAA relies heavily on volunteers. The question is how many people are planning to attend. Frankly, from discussions with the chairs in our area, we're wondering if we'll have sufficient manpower to pull this off. A lot of people are punting on travel because they just are too uncertain. We've got conferences scheduled in the fall that are pulling the plug.

Sounds like a good science experiment. Have people come into Oshkosh from the 4 corners of the world. Wait two weeks after the show and then monitor if there is an unusual spike in Covid-19 cases in Winnabago County. (OK, I said that with a dash of tongue-in-cheek humor, but it would bring closure to the argument, on one side or the other.) The authority for this government over-reach is based on the idea of this being a "National Disaster," which it is not. The experts told us to expect deaths in the millions. That didn't happen. The only thing that did happened was a panic buying of toilet paper. Really? Anyone that thought the first thing to buy during a national disaster was toilet paper doesn't need to crew with me in my lifeboat.
    The new catch phrase is "Wait for the second wave." I can hear the footsteps running to the toilet paper isle already.
    Covid-19 death rates in California were reported to be 0.03% of the population. Covid-19 death rates in New York state were reported to be 0.01% of the population. I doubt that qualifies as a National Disaster.

I've felt the same way about this whole thing that Ronald and Robert1 have since the beginning of it. Numbers are skewed, all political.

My contention is, and has been, if you think you're going to "catch" something while you're there.....don't go. If you think you might contaminate someone while there....don't go. Then YOU can feel good about yourself, that you "did your part".

If AV 2020 isn't canceled....I'll be there.

"Make yourself a sheep and the wolves will eat you". Benjamin Franklin

Heard on WGN TV news just now that the huge local concert venue 'Ravinia' (trust me..iit's a BIG deal in these parts) has cancelled its entire 2020 season that normally features over 100 different acts and artists from June through September. Safety and the near impossibility of meeting any sort of guidelines stated as factors.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/r...o-coronavirus/
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Georgia created 22 pages of guidelines for restaurants in order to reopen and operate at 25% capacity. Hate to see what the state of Wisconsin is going to levy on EAA. That’s IF they decide to even let the event go on.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hello everyone, AirVenture 2020 is officially canceled. Here's a message from EAA CEO/Chairman Jack Pelton:https://bit.ly/3f3yw8x