Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Efficient cutting of wood ribs?

Question Efficient cutting of wood ribs?

what is the best method or saw for cutting material for making wood ribs?
    thanks

Are you talking small spruce capstrip? I used a bandsaw for my Tailwind spruce capstrip, but a simple handsaw will buzz right thru the small stuff.
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

what I was referring to are the ribs built from 1/4" material enforced with gussets
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stolflite View Post
    what I was referring to are the ribs built from 1/4" material enforced with gussets
    thanks
    I use a template, and cut with a router, by cutting a 1 inch thick template to the exact size and shape, you can place the new stock on top of it and cut with a laminate trimmer bit in a router. makes a perfect rib every pass.

its not clear to me whether you are stick building ribs or sawn from a solid piece of plywood. if i ever get around to building my own Cherokee II glider (1/4" plywood sawn ribs) I will probably look into having the ribs laser cut from a cad file. Tom's method works well for mass production of sawn ribs but on the glider the wing is tapered and there are only two of each individual rib.

My apologies for not being clear in stating my question. What I want to do is rip 3/4"x 6" stock material into 1/4"x 1/4" rib material for making ribs by gluing and gusset method.

In making gussets for my Hatz project, I used the tablesaw to cut strips of mahogany ply, stacked them, and cut multiple gussets at a time on either my bandsaw or my chop saw.

I did the same thing with the individual spruce strips - made a prototype, then set an angled stop on my bandsaw so I could align a bunch of strips and cut several identical ones at a time.

As I cut the unique gussets and spruce strips, I put them in zip-loc baggies which I labeled to show which type of strip or gusset was inside.

Quote Originally Posted by stolflite View Post
    My apologies for not being clear in stating my question. What I want to do is rip 3/4"x 6" stock material into 1/4"x 1/4" rib material for making ribs by gluing and gusset method.
    I do that in 5 steps, first you edge the board in a jointer, then rip 3/8 inch off the edge, plane that strip to 1/4 X3/4, and rip in half, and plane each to 1/4 x 1/4 you loose a lot of wood to saw dust.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 12-09-2011 at 05:43 PM.

do you cut then with a 200 tooth blade on your saw?

Name:  sawing new post.JPG
Views: 576
Size:  42.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    I have a Sears band saw that I use as a re-saw with a fine tooth blade with as little set as possible to get a clean no burn cut. shown set up to cut a new rudder post for my Fairchild. removing a 3/16' piece from the side.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 12-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.