Thread: Video: Name that Plane! - What is it? Texoma Aero Club

Video: Name that Plane! - What is it? Texoma Aero Club

The Texoma Aero Club has a unique aircraft in its fleet. Do you know what it is?

I cheated and looked up the N - lol. The plane is 20 years younger than I am.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I recognized the make by the tail, but I had to cheat too. The plane is 6 years older than me

I don't know about the year, but the vertical fin is the giveaway.

Larry N.

Mooney bought the rights to the Ercoupe in the 1960s, and of course had to change the tail to conform with the rest of the fleet.
    They called it the M10 Cadet. This all happened the same year my first Daughter was born. I remember it well!
    Last edited by melann; 03-10-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Interesting history, I had to look it up. From what I read, the tail redesign was not just Mooney marketing. They marketed the plane as a trainer and therefore, it needed to be able to spin. The Ercoupe/Alon A-2-A would not spin, so they changed the tail. The shape of the vertical stabilizer is, of course, al marketing/branding.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

You are correct!
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

I guess that I'm just old - I knew that one right away. As I recall, there were two M-10s based at the airport where I learned to fly in 1977.