Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Tram Change At Airventure

Quote Originally Posted by lkorona View Post
    Not panicky, just adding a dose of reality. Like I posted over on the Blue Board:
    Looking worse every day this past week, let's see what next week brings us, but I'm not sure if will be any better. I fear that we are in this mess for a while, and events like OSH are bound to fall victim. I hate to say this but I think that we all need to face the reality of the impact of this virus will have on humanity for months to come.

I feel like it's the situation of that VFR Pilot who continues to fly into deteriorating MVFR conditions, convinced that better weather is in just the next mile.

I feel like it's more like the gas crisis of the 70's. Created by the government...….so THEY could bail us out of it.

I don't remember which politician it was who said "we can't let a good crisis go to waste", or something like that.
    Last edited by malexander; 03-23-2020 at 06:31 PM.

I listened to that briefing, and it seems like the reason the popular green tram was eliminated was because of it passing through an entrance gate. Security didn't like it. The passengers needed to show wrist bands, and it was impractical to check bags. I guess people weren't putting their 100ml liquids in their see through bag.

I think the solution to that is to do what US Customs does at some airports outside the country. The inspection is done at boarding. Then the secure tram can transition from the world of buses to the world of airplanes.

It looks like there's a reduction in total parking from 15,360 to 14,910 (-450). While the grey lot (4,500 cars) gets it's own bus line, brown, pink and yellow (5,500 cars) users have a long walk just to get to the museum bus. Reducing traffic on Waukau seems to be a major goal too.

I didn't know credit cards were accepted for parking last year. It seems they had a slow processing system though. I’m guessing communication was through the cell phone network which we know gets quite congested. Cash only now. No one asked my E-Z Pass question.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 03-24-2020 at 06:14 AM.

"Security" whoever that is, should not run EAA. If and when EAA hires them, EAA should tell them what they want done and not the other way around.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    After watching the Chairman Briefing - EAA AirVenture 2020 Parking & Transportation Webinar
    I came away with three observations.

1. The 2019 Northwestern University Transportation Center study didn't recommend eliminating the green tram route.
    2. The 2019 Northwestern University Transportation Center study recommended parking visitor's automobiles farther away from the event.
    3. By increasing the cost of parking by $5.00 at the gate, will make people buy advanced parking passes online to save $5.00. The reason: To park automobiles faster.
    Last edited by Wrongway Feldman; 03-23-2020 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    3. By increasing the cost of parking by $5.00 at the gate, will make people buy advanced parking passes online to save $5.00. The reason: To park automobiles faster.
    Which would only work if they did it right. The advanced sale of wristbands doesn't do much for speeding up anything. Putting the infrastructure in place and assigning people to verify passes is a whole lot more involved than grabbing an Abe from the car passing in.

I really haven't had much of an opinon about Norhwestern U., but if they want to screw up Airventure which is none of their concern, I hope Ohio State beats them by say about 50 pts.

That’s about as dirt stupid as you can get and EAA bought into it. Absolutely unbelievable.

I’ve been buying a pass for a number of years now and I can absolutely tell you it doesn’t help. Why? Doesn’t matter when you’re stuck in line with cash paying folks. If this is gonna be EAA’s approach then they need to figure out how to fast track the prepaid folks from from daily cash payers. Been saying this for years but no one seems to listen. Guess that is also a too advanced concept for Northwestern.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    That’s about as dirt stupid as you can get and EAA bought into it. Absolutely unbelievable.

I’ve been buying a pass for a number of years now and I can absolutely tell you it doesn’t help. Why? Doesn’t matter when you’re stuck in line with cash paying folks. If this is gonna be EAA’s approach then they need to figure out how to fast track the prepaid folks from from daily cash payers. Been saying this for years but no one seems to listen. Guess that is also a too advanced concept for Northwestern.
    I travel (well at least before the Covid-19 shelter in place stuff I did) on Toll Roads and over the Chicago Skyway toll bridge. I have an I-Pass/EZ Pass in my car to speed up getting thru the toll booths. EVERY time I go there WILL be at least one EZ PASS ONLY lane completely blocked by some idgit without a device who can't read and needs to pay with cash. So, will a separate lane for Parking Pass Only AirVenture visitors work? Not bloody likely says I.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

The one time I had to walk through the main gate, because I was staying at Sleepy Hollow, I had my prepaid receipt and there was a seperate line for prepaid folks. It was fast and easy.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    The one time I had to walk through the main gate, because I was staying at Sleepy Hollow, I had my prepaid receipt and there was a seperate line for prepaid folks. It was fast and easy.
    Bob
    For walk-in traffic? Sure. For lines of cars looking to get into a parking lot? Good luck wit dat.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln