Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Tram Change At Airventure

I watched that briefing, my thought was have any of the briefers there ever gotten out of headquarters and actually walked the grounds during Airventure ? To do a study from kids who while supposedly videotaping the activities were on cell phones or playing games on I pad (Yes, I saw this several times) I think was a mistake IMHO. Why didn t they ask the people who actually work there for opinions ? Would have gotten better info.

Bill L

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    I watched that briefing, my thought was have any of the briefers there ever gotten out of headquarters and actually walked the grounds during Airventure ? To do a study from kids who while supposedly videotaping the activities were on cell phones or playing games on I pad (Yes, I saw this several times) I think was a mistake IMHO. Why didn t they ask the people who actually work there for opinions ? Would have gotten better info.

Bill L
    Well Bill, I know Jill, and I know for a fact that she is out and about during the whole convention.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I travel (well at least before the Covid-19 shelter in place stuff I did) on Toll Roads and over the Chicago Skyway toll bridge. I have an I-Pass/EZ Pass in my car to speed up getting thru the toll booths. EVERY time I go there WILL be at least one EZ PASS ONLY lane completely blocked by some idgit without a device who can't read and needs to pay with cash. So, will a separate lane for Parking Pass Only AirVenture visitors work? Not bloody likely says I.
    Ya just can’t fix stupid.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

This was MHO which probably doesn t mean much. I don t know any of the people on the webinar, Thanks for the update.

After listening to the webinar, I didn't hear anything on how much general admission traffic will exit on 113 and head north on Poberezny to the lots. I come in to camp Scholler with a rather large unit and am frustrated waiting in line for an hour or more behind general admission vehicles to get to camper registration. Maybe I will have to come during the week before to avoid some traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by izznsky View Post
    After listening to the webinar, I didn't hear anything on how much general admission traffic will exit on 113 and head north on Poberezny to the lots. I come in to camp Scholler with a rather large unit and am frustrated waiting in line for an hour or more behind general admission vehicles to get to camper registration. Maybe I will have to come during the week before to avoid some traffic.
    Pretty sure it was said that if the south bound Route 44 exit backs up it will be closed and traffic will be sent south to the Route 26 exit. Pretty sure the south bound Route 44 exit has been closed at times the past couple of years. The Route 44 exit has backed up onto 41 which is a very real safety concern and the State Police wanted something done about it. That area is a problem as you have east and west bound Route 44 traffic and north and south bound Route 41 traffic and three lights to get through.

Watched the webinar last night.......
    I got the same thing out of it, but IMO that only moves the problem from Exit 116 down to Exit 113. Several years ago when the Blue Angles performed southbound existing traffic backed up almost to Lake Butte de Morts. I was traveling north from Exit 116 can’t imagine what traffic coming up from Milwaukee was like. Still sticking to my guns, until they separate cash from prepaid the log jam entering the lots is still going to exist.

They said that this was just Phase I. They should have shared more details on the grand plan; probably would have saved a lot of grumbling from us members. EAA can keep shuffling the dominos but in reality unless something major changes they are truly land locked.

They are are obviously trying to move the congestion off Waukau. Adding more parking along the west side of Poberezny helps but it puts more pressure on the museum shuttle line. Not a single word was said about increasing service, hmm. And it increases the foot traffic trying to cross Poberezny which in turns slows down traffic. Just a little nuance the study seems to overlook, again hmm. How about a temporary foot bridge over Poberezny?? The presentation did not address impacts created by Sleepy Hollow or the gypsy lots.

Glad to see they’re improving access to the Gray lot. At least there they’ve establishing a dedicated shuttle route using a lane on Waukau.

Not happy about losing the Blue Lot for general parking. I think they total misunderstand the vehicle problem. Parked vehicles inside the fence is NOT the problem. The number of scooters, golf carts and ATVs running all over the place is THE problem. Also seems that EAA is bending over backwards for the vendors at the expense of general membership who park.

I also now understand why the Green tram line got nixed. Based on other comments on this forum they probably should have thought how to keep the route inside the fence vs killing the route. I’m a walker so it really doesn’t impact me.

Not sure why EAA is so vested in the Northwestern study. Sure would have been nice if they had asked for some EAA membership peer review inputs. It’s painfully obviously neither the EAA staff or Northwestern have any firsthand experience on general admission parking. Personal observations based on 40+ years of attending.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

"I also now understand why the Green tram line got nixed. Based on other comments on this forum they probably should have thought how to keep the route inside the fence vs killing the route. I’m a walker so it really doesn’t impact me."

Could you tell us why you now understand? Was it something about access at the gate? Were folks getting through without a wrist band? Every time I've been on the green tram you needed to show your wrist band to the person at the gate.

Sure, the Green Line went outside the fence to the Bus Park. When it returned EAA had to perform a bag check as mandated by security requirements and of course also a band check to ensure all aboard had paid for attendance. It was viewed as taking too long.

I think they could and should rethink this by creating a bump out to put the Green Line Bus Park turnaround inside the controlled area. Then the security checks could be accomplished prior to boarding. Problem solved??? Just one crusty guy’s opinion.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Hey, I was a conductor on the Greem tram now and then - I instructed all passengers to show the 'guard' in the little shack their wristband as we passed.
    As they did I also verified everyone had one.

Can't speak to the value of any 'bag checks', since it is the norm to land aircraft and park them on the grounds, inside the fenced area, without bag searches or airplane searches.

I can assure anyone interested that I do NOT understand why they have chosen to nix the valued service. ALL the ridership sure seemed to appreciate it.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-27-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln