Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New tram routes announced

Randy, did anyone in management ever ask your informed opionion on this? Do you have any influence on changing any of this. Please see my last post under the other topic on this subect. Thanks

No, never saw anyone asking opinions of anyone, let alone me. And yes, EAA does have my e-mail address had they wanted input from the likes of me - lol

As but a miniscule decrepit corny-joke-telling cog in the grand tram system machine, I have precisely zero influence upon it, beyond squeaking. I do opine that 'common folk' are going to be woeful P.O.'d when they discover the Green is gone and there's no Vintage tram stop, survey be darned.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    No, never saw anyone asking opinions of anyone, let alone me. And yes, EAA does have my e-mail address had they wanted input from the likes of me - lol

As but a miniscule decrepit corny-joke-telling cog in the grand tram system machine, I have precisely zero influence upon it, beyond squeaking. I do opine that 'common folk' are going to be woeful P.O.'d when they discover the Green is gone and there's no Vintage tram stop, survey be darned.
    I see a lot about routes in the release, but nothing about stops or lack there of. Where are you getting information that there will be no tram "stops" at Vintage?

krw, that would be me. Been driving for 16 years. I asked the tram chairman earlier this weekend and that is the answer he gave me. We have all given the chairpersons our input on how to improve things based on what we run into. All they can do is report during meetings in the "crystal palace", Long walk from Hanger Cafe to Vintage. Gonna hate to see what happens with people jumping off tram as we make the corner onto Vern.

Realize that those of us who actually work all those 6 hour shifts on the various tram routes every day often have zero input into decision making concerning tram operations. We just follow the directions we will be given at our Saturday pre-show briefing in July.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-09-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Parking and people movement has been a problem for quite some time. Not sure how the concept of attempting to cram more vehicles and more people into essentially a fixed sized area and not expecting something to give is a good idea. Attempting to fix a broken system just yields a garbage in - garbage out solution and nobody is happy.

Probably would have been better to develop a survey and poll its members as to their expectations of tram service and parking. I’m not a traffic engineer but developing a survey to acquire data to revamp the system is just not that hard. For example, is there demand for an express route from Ultralights to Warbirds? If so, did the level of response warrant?
    Perhaps EAA also needs to consider tram fees. How much are people willing to pay for say a day pass? Has anyone asked?

Parking is a bit tougher. Parking rates for the same dusty or muddy fields continue to rise but quality of service remains flat. Maybe tiered parking rates based on location to main gate? Reserved lot for advanced online permit sales? I find shuttle buses too slow to load and unload and there is no dedicated route from the outer lots to the main gate to enhance transit time. EAA has become landlocked. Perhaps a significantly reduced price or even free remote parking options should be explored?

But I’m only one voice.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I'm 80+ and about the only time I ride the tram is from the Vintage area to the back 40 gate and catch a bus to Friar Tucks for a cool afternoon beverage. Otherwise I usually hoof it as there's a lot to see.
    Not necessary anymore because the EAA sold out and sells beer all over the grounds now. Never saw a fist fight on the flight line before that change.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    ...Never saw a fist fight on the flight line before that change.
    Fist fight?! What the....? What could precipitate a fist fight at an airshow? We're all there for a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Not necessary anymore because the EAA sold out and sells beer all over the grounds now. Never saw a fist fight on the flight line before that change.
    I'd also lay blame on making it a point of emphasis to draw in non-eaa visitors. I understand why EAA does that, but there were bound to be consequences.

I would love to use the trams, but I almost never do. I hurt my back pretty bad several years ago, and I'm usually limping around. It usually hurts standing in one place more than limping, so I just "man up" and push on.

I guess my timing is just bad, as whenever I *really* want or need to take a tram, regardless of the point on the route, there's always a line. And coincidentally, once one tram leaves, there's no clue when the next one will arrive. Perhaps it was better last year - I didn't even try, but I think I recall Randy or someone noting that more trams were going to be available.

In previous years, we've always stayed in the dorms, so the bus park was a daily evil. I'd limp past the tower tram HQ, but the green tram line was so long I figured I could beat them to the bus park, even limping! As those of you who take the city bus know, your spot in line is important on *if* you'll get on a bus or be left standing another 20 mins trying to guess when the next one will show up!

I no longer get to visit many of the areas on the grounds as it's too painful. I volunteer in the workshops quite a bit, and I'm "into" E-AB stuff, so I'm usually around the kit vendor area, in forums (fora?), or in the exhibit barns looking for stuff for my project. I'm fine with that, but sometimes I'd just like to ride around and see the HBC, N40, and vintage areas.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton