Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New tram routes announced

I've been going to Friar Tucks for at least 10 years and never had any issues with smokers. It's about the only place you can ride the bus and walk through the fence and get a good meal with an adult beverage. Did I also mention it's air conditioned (my tent isn't). I made my first trip to Oshkosh in either 1969 or 1970 whatever year the first Oshkosh fly in and I think I've only missed one. For me it's a three hour drive or 1 1/2 hour flight
    in my "put put". It's correct that you had to have some kind of a pilot's license, etc. to get on the flight line during the early years. You also couldn't carry any beverage, etc. in and if I remember correctly we parked along the road between the large parking lot and present main gate. How thing have changed.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I went to fly in the show one time and had an argument with a very young CAP cadet who told me I couldn't be near the plane. I finally just got in the plane and I didn't hear any more about it. Annoying, but just a small thing.
    I've been yelled at by 14 year old's in CAP uniforms for crossing "lines" that were only marked with someone's imagination. Whoever is training some of those kids needs to give them a crash Dale Carnegie course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I've been yelled at by 14 year old's in CAP uniforms for crossing "lines" that were only marked with someone's imagination. Whoever is training some of those kids needs to give them a crash Dale Carnegie course.
    Or maybe you can benefit from one. Part of that is trying to understand other people's motivation. The CAP cadets are trying to do what they have been told to do by the EAA flight line boss for that area. It is emphasized to them that this is about safety, which is kind of important. I have been stopped at least once or twice a year going to my plane. I have always found that a soft response, explaining that I am going to my plane is all that is needed. They are, after all, children, and doing the best that they can.

Aside from that, things are not as they once were. I could count on no one molesting my airplane while it was on the line. Recently that has not been true and I have had to jury rig a lock for the door. I am very grateful that someone is monitoring the "look but do not touch" signs.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    Or maybe you can benefit from one.
    Dayuum.

You needed to be there. The kid was the 14 year old version of Ronald Lee Ermey. He needed better guidance as to how you deal with people. Hint - Oshkosh attendees are the best crowds in the world. If your opening action is to shout at them, you're doing it wrong.

The CAP boy that told me not to go to my plane was not shouting, but he was also not listening when I told him I needed to fly the plane, obviously his instructions had been about security above all else and not common sense. I was not that upset, was not that busy, had time to be pretty relaxed that day. He wasn't there when I taxied back in and no one said any more about it to me.
    I wonder if these kids get to do any flying or anything fun airplane wise, I see them mostly marching around. I think they are told not to talk to us. I have tried to visit with them a few times and they seem to want to keep to themselves.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-12-2020 at 09:33 AM.

CAF or CAP? Two completely different organizations.

I got a lot of respect for the CAP my first time camping in the North 40 when we had a 70MPH windstorm come through at 2AM. As soon as it let up, the CAP was out there helping people reset their tents and any whose campsite was too far gone were moved to the CAP hangar to sleep there for the night. They also had hot chocolate going.

Years later when I was pressed into crowd control in Vintage when One-Eyed Jack crashed his plane (don't get me started on stupid crowds, people were jumping off moving trams to go try to rush the crowd line), we were still there after 9PM and hadn't eaten (we had dinner reservations in town and the restaurant agreed to stay open for us) and didn't know when we'd get released. Shortly there after the CAP kids marched in and relieved us.

As a tram volunteer, I see a safety issue there. As we make turn, slowing down, people and kids jumping on and off while still moving.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    As a tram volunteer, I see a safety issue there. As we make turn, slowing down, people and kids jumping on and off while still moving.
    Since tram jumping at the Vern corner has happened EVERY year I've been a conductor even WITH the stop at Vintage, I can just about guarantee it will happen with alarming frequency on a host of runs IF they proceed with eliminating that particular stop. Each time tram-jumping happens the odds of an injury go up exponentially I'm thinking.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Randy, tram operations should serve the needs of the passengers which includes being able to get off. We are not captives, even when you are trying to do a good job. If you come to a stop people should be able to exit. If I can climb up on my wing to service 5 fuel tanks I can step 2 feet off a tram. I did this one day and Brunhilda really had a fit and started screaming at me. It was like road rage and I don't doubt if she had a gun she would have pointed it at me. Thank God someone with some common sense, maybe you, got rid of that shrew. So many, most of the people at Oshkosh are nice, seem to like people and are there to have a good time, but she wasn't and wanted to make sure others didn't have fun either.
    The tram going north for instance stops once just across from A an P root beer, which they call forurms. But is it only the workshops and the 10 or so forum buildings where most people go is quite a ways father to walk, not to mention homebuilt parking up to the runway. its frustrating to sit there while the tram drives right by where you really want to go and often even stops for traffic.

Bill, reason no stop at forum buildings is because they don t want the tram noise or conductors talking on speakers. If memory serves, Tom Poberezny started that cause speakers were complaining.