Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New tram routes announced

skyfixer8 has posted that they plan to eliminate the stop on Vern at Vintage/Boeing Plaza too.

This is a copy of my post in another thread:

NO stop at the Vintage HQ/Boeing Plaza before the turn South? My opinion is that is ill-advised and potentially dangerous. IMHO - note IMHO - I worry that ALL the trams WILL have folks para-jumping off moving trams left & right at that corner slow turn. First they cancel the popular Green tram and now No stop at the VERY popular Boeing Plaza stop? I'm starting to get less and less impressed with the 'quality' of that transportation survey from Northwestern.

Hopefully wiser heads will prevail before AirVenture starts up?
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-09-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I asked that question and got response this morning. To address a security problem in that area (?) and to increase traffic flow on the grounds. She said transport to buss park will be available as needed.

As I was driving several routes where survey was being done, all I saw was the students videotaping and listening to music. Never saw tham actually talk to anyone to get feeling of what people actually thought. not the way to do a survey.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    She said transport to buss park will be available as needed.
    I wonder what that means -- IOW how exactly will it work? I don't ride the trams near as much as the shuttles but this whole tram business appears to be a classic EAA "ready-fire-aim", out of touch problem solving approach.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 03-09-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

We could easily stop at the Vintage Restaurant? Or just before that? There's GOT TO BE someplace between the Hangar Cafe and the new Hangar B Depot where a stop can be created? Maybe one will be created by Monday afternoon after a few tram jumpers get injured or after all those folks the tram blows by start loudly complaining to the 'Powers that Be'?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    We could easily stop at the Vintage Restaurant? Or just before that? There's GOT TO BE someplace between the Hangar Cafe and the new Hangar B Depot where a stop can be created? Maybe one will be created by Monday afternoon after a few tram jumpers get injured or after all those folks the tram blows by start loudly complaining to the 'Powers that Be'?
    Randy, as a long-term tram operator, do you have anyway to provide direct feedback to the EAA folks on this beyond what is available to us rank and file members?
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I wonder what that means -- IOW how exactly will it work? I don't ride the trams near as much as the shuttles but this whole tram business appears to be a classic EAA "ready-fire-aim", out of touch problem solving approach.

Just spit-balling possible problem solving options......… Instead of the discontinued Green route, what if we create a new 'Pirate Flag' route that will use a tractor-tram combo and shuttle folks between the Control Tower Depot and the grassy area 150' past the current Bus Park Tower? That would be FANTASTIC I'm thinking. Just imagine the convenience to our GUESTS.

LOL
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-09-2020 at 01:57 PM.

I'm 80+ and about the only time I ride the tram is from the Vintage area to the back 40 gate and catch a bus to Friar Tucks for a cool afternoon beverage. Otherwise I usually hoof it as there's a lot to see.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

I wonder if different pulling vehicles should be looked into. I seem to recall that the company that lets EAA use the Deere tractors puts a 100 hour use limit on them. Would old airplane tugs make a decent tram puller? Maybe some could be acquired from the funds generated by the extra $5 parking fee this year. I know we’re only looking at a 1 week annual event, but there are also hundreds of thousands of individual people trips coming in from those distant parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post

Just spit-balling possible problem solving options......… Instead of the discontinued Green route, what if we create a new 'Pirate Flag' route that will use a tractor-tram combo and shuttle folks between the Control Tower Depot and the grassy area 150 past the current Bus Park Tower? That would be FANTASTIC I'm thinking. Just imagine the convenience to our GUESTS.
    That's a good suggestion but I'd like to know more about EAA's actual plan based upon the somewhat cryptic response provided to Skyfixer8.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!