Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you fly your plane during Airventure and return to your camping spot?

Can you fly your plane during Airventure and return to your camping spot?

My significant other is talking about joining me for Airventure midweek, flying in commerical. Is it feasible to fly my plane to pick her up wherever she arrives and return to my camping spot? I'll be flying in and camping with the Cessnas to Oshkosh group in the north 40.
    Last edited by Eric Gleason; 03-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gleason View Post
    My significant other is talking about joining me for Airventure midweek, flying in commerical. Is it feasible to fly my plane to pick her up and return to my camping spot? I'll be flying in and camping with the Cessnas to Oshkosh group in the north 40.
    Yes. A friend was in HBC a few years ago. He took the airplane, but left his wife and their tent at Oshkosh to make a one day trip to a conference. No muss, no fuss. Just leave your tent and camping credentials on your site and you should be fine.

When you return, you'll need to show your camping credentials to the parking volunteers. Otherwise, they'll want you to park where they are sending everyone else at that time, or depart if the area is full.

If she flies into Appleton that shuttle bus runs every hour, is cheap and goes right from in front of the small terminal. Its easier than flying your plane to the FBO to pick her up. Only thing is the bus goes to the Airventuere bus central terminal and youd need another to your plane parking.

I think that in the interest of keeping things peaceful on the home front, I'd better go pick her up :-)

Thanks everybody. This is all good info.

I think that in the interest of keeping things peaceful on the home front, I'd better go pick her up :-)

Thanks everybody. This is all good info.

How about a compromise? Take the shuttle to Appleton to meet her, and ride back together.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I checked flights and Appleton is--by far--the hardest for her to get to on a reasonable schedule. We'll see what makes the most sense when it comes time to pull the trigger on a plane ticket.

There's a big element of relationship politics going on here. She isn't at all excited about Oshkosh, and is coming mostly because we're also stopping in Chicago to see my extended family on the way home. I don't mind putting the extra time on the plane to go pick her up, and that comes out of my budget. She'll be buying her ticket out of her own budget, and if it costs her too much or she has to be up at the crack of dawn to get a flight, I'll be paying for it. Better to just be grateful that she agreed to spend a couple of nights in a tent with me and my kid and do whatever I can to make her enjoy it more.

Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I checked flights and Appleton is--by far--the hardest for her to get to on a reasonable schedule. We'll see what makes the most sense when it comes time to pull the trigger on a plane ticket.

There's a big element of relationship politics going on here. She isn't at all excited about Oshkosh, and is coming mostly because we're also stopping in Chicago to see my extended family on the way home. I don't mind putting the extra time on the plane to go pick her up, and that comes out of my budget. She'll be buying her ticket out of her own budget, and if it costs her too much or she has to be up at the crack of dawn to get a flight, I'll be paying for it. Better to just be grateful that she agreed to spend a couple of nights in a tent with me and my kid and do whatever I can to make her enjoy it more.

How about you take the kid, do what you want to do, and let her do what she wants to do. That's worked for me for 39 years. Although, my wife loves the friends we've made at OSH.

That's pretty much what's happening.

Airline to Milwaukee is much cheaper. Too bad there is no frequent bus service to Oshkosh during Airventure week.
    The Lamers morning only bus service is rather useless.
    I tried to use the new evening Amtrak bus last year and was disappointed. The only sure option is an expensive rental car.