Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying in

Flying in

There is a chance, although slim, that I may get to fly into A/V this year and would like some advice and opinions on a good time/day to arrive. In 2018 we drove in and a friend flew his plane but didn't arrive until the 2nd or 3rd day and had to park, as he said, a mile walk to the first tram stop. I would like to avoid that if at all possible because I will be doing plenty of walking as it is. I know a lot of y'all have plenty of experience with this so that's why I'm asking. Thanks
    Bob

It depends WHAT you are flying in, in. The North 40 has a school bus that will take you to the entry gate (and the trams). Most of the HBC is on the tram route. The trams indeed do not go to the ends of Vintage (or the new South 40 GA area ... what we in Vintage call Green Acres), but again there should be a school bus to take you down there.

If your plane is older than the end of 1970, then you can park in Vintage. By the Wednesday, there are spots opening up and we start backfilling, so you might get a closer space.

Thanks Ron, more that likely we will be in an 80's Cessna 172.

The only way to know where you will park would be to join www.Cessnas2Oshkosh.com . It's easy, but you'd have to attend one of their training clinics this spring. In my opinion, it's the safest and most fun way to arrive. In that case, you'd arrive Saturday and be parked in the North 40 near the red shower house where the N40 bus stops.

I think EAA may have a handicapped parking area near the N40 registration building.

The early mornings after the field opens up tends to be a good time to fly the arrival traffic-wise unless the day before had weather that caused significant delays. In that case all bets are off and no time will better than another.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 03-04-2020 at 07:07 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    The only way to know where you will park would be to join www.Cessnas2Oshkosh.com . It's easy, but you'd have to attend one of their training clinics this spring. In my opinion, it's the safest and most fun way to arrive. In that case, you'd arrive Saturday and be parked in the North 40 near the red shower house where the N40 bus stops.
    Those are exactly the reasons why I'm joining C 2 Osh this year. First time flying in, figured there would be safety in numbers, and a guarantee that I won't get turned away because the field is full. Just keeping my fingers crossed that there aren't heavy rains or weather messing up this plan. The little tires on my 182RG are not good in soft ground.

In past years, the North 40 has been full by the end of Saturday. If you're flying by yourself I'd plan on being on the Fisk arrival early on Saturday, or be prepared to go to Fon du Lac and take the shuttle in.

When I first started this thread back in March, besides having the goal of actually flying in to A/V, I decided I would loose 30 lbs. That 30 lb loss would put me at 190, and with my co pilot at 155 lbs, we would be closer to the, magical, or should I say, mythical, pilot weight of 170 lbs. I know from our experience of flying to SNF in 2015, a Cessna 172 can hold a lot of stuff and starts to get heavy real quick. Well, I'm here to declare that I only have 33 more pounds to go to reach my goal ! Sigh !
    Bob, are you going to eat that cake?

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    When I first started this thread back in March, besides having the goal of actually flying in to A/V, I decided I would loose 30 lbs. That 30 lb loss would put me at 190, and with my co pilot at 155 lbs, we would be closer to the, magical, or should I say, mythical, pilot weight of 170 lbs. I know from our experience of flying to SNF in 2015, a Cessna 172 can hold a lot of stuff and starts to get heavy real quick. Well, I'm here to declare that I only have 33 more pounds to go to reach my goal ! Sigh !
    Bob, are you going to eat that cake?
    you could always ship gear to Osh and pick it up after you arrive. Lots of people do that.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

That's a good idea Auburntsts, I have read that there's a UPS or FedX on site or close by. Some of the guys on here rent a spot in a storage building and just keep their stuff there. I'll check it out.
    Bob

You can have it shipped to GES. I've just had stuff shipped to the Hilton Garden Inn marked hold for arrival (as we end up there after the show). I've not had a problem retrieving my packages a week before I check in.