Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessible Parking at Airventure

Accessible Parking at Airventure

I am posting for a friend who, along with his wife, has mobility issues and they are heading to Airventure for the first time this year. Their question is what is the best time to arrive at the vehicle parking area to secure a handicap cap space. They seem to be comfortable with the other aspects of tram travel, but they do need the proximity of an accessible space. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Larry Nelson EAA 35011
    President EAA Chapter 821
    Springfield, MO
    PA 30 / Cessna 195

The Blue Lot just outside the main gate has handicapped parking. To my knowledge and what I’ve observed over the years it rarely fills up. AV is really a one way in one way out setup. If you’re not in the Blue Lot by around 0800 you’re gonna sit in line. It’s even worse on the days any military demo team flies.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

See the article at this link for updates to parking and traffic flow at the 2020 convention:

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...UU1Rdz09In0%3D
    Cheers!

Joe

Joe - no more Green tram beteween the Tower and the Bus Park? Has Lot F been relocated or just erased?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

So everyone except vendors, handicapped and VIP permit holders will need to walk to take a bus to walk to get to the entrance since the blue lot isn’t for the general public. That’s going to put a huge load on the museum bus line.

it looks like the price to park has gone up 50% to $15. They really should look at accepting credit cards or EZ Pass if it’s going to be that expensive so they can move cars in quicker.
    It looks like the Green tram is gone. It may be time for that monorail.

Edit:
    I went on Google Earth to plot out some estimated distances. It looks like the longest parked car to entrance gate distance is about 6,900' from the far point of Pink. Just the walk from the center of Pink to pick up the museum bus is about 2,300'.
    The center of the bus park to the main gate is about 1,000' too. Using the school bus is only about a 3000' ride.
    Distance from the entrance to convention center is about 2,200'.

As a comparison, the farthest point from the Disney World EPCOT parking lot to the main entrance is about 2,700', and they have trams. They do hit you for $25/day there, but you can pay with a card.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 03-06-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Joe - no more Green tram beteween the Tower and the Bus Park? Has Lot F been relocated or just erased?
    Randy,

Yes, the "Green" route has been eliminated.

The E, F, M and W parking lots have been eliminated. What used to be the "Blue" lot is now the "D" lot, and much of the parking from the eliminated lots will be moved there.
    Cheers!

Joe

Elimination of the Red Lot for permit parking hurt.
    Elimination of the Orange Lot for vendor parking really hurt.
    Elimination of the Blue Lot for permit parking just plain sucks.

Gotta keep the VIPs and aviation elite happy. As for the run-of-the-mill dues paying, pay to park members y’all get park out on 41. Well at least this decision pairs well with raising the airplane raffle to $100 per ticket.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Joda View Post
    Randy,

Yes, the "Green" route has been eliminated.

The E, F, M and W parking lots have been eliminated. What used to be the "Blue" lot is now the "D" lot, and much of the parking from the eliminated lots will be moved there.
    So.. Yellow is now a Two Stops between turn-arounds and then get off route? And hike it to the Bus Park for all? And wait in long slow lines for a slow loading/unloading school bus to and from a distant parking lot? It needs more study and reflection on MY part, but it does make me question the value of the results from that college driven traffic 'survey' right off the bat. That and those of us tram volunteers who get sentenced to the Blue route should pack a lunch - lol - that is going to be one long haul.

Oh, Purple AND Red going North, depending on the clock, not the need - that won't be at ALL confusing to our guests..... and tractor drivers - LOL - think about it.... how many attendees are going to be stranded at tram stops way out there in HBC West side, waiting for a ride that isn't coming because the colors are in transition?
    Understand that Purple will take a good 1/2 hour to run start to finish. maybe even longer.
    Either service an area with people movers... or don't. You can't effectively just service a destination "sometimes" during the day. IMHO....but nobody asked me - LOL
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 03-06-2020 at 10:39 AM.

When I am crowned Emperor of Trams - LOL - there will simply be NO limited service Red route. Purple will run all day long to avoid any conflicts, angry passengers or confusions. I will then rename Purple and call it the Red route.

Randy, I bet that all this is still preliminary planning and maybe someone in charge will look at it harder based on this thread. Nothing at Oshkosh is ever written in stone, especially during Airventure. Gotta be flexible.