Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh first timer.

Yes sir. That was my plan. Just wasn't too sure about gates. In my head I have it pictured sort of like a music festival where it shuts down at a certain time and reopens at a certain time. I just want to be inside early so I can absorb as much as humanly possible in the limited time I have, without standing in a huge line waiting to enter the gate or stuck out on the road in a long line of cars.
    I appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    I'm not sure about the gate times, since I've always camped, and I don't think the gates between
    Camp Scholler and the flightline ever close. But whan you arrive on Wednesday, buy your wristbands for all days you will be there, and avoid standing in line the other days.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gleason View Post
    I thought the trimotor rides were way more expensive than that. Now I'm thinking it might just have to happen...
    In 2018 they cut the price to $65 if you got on the early morning flight. After that it went back to $75/
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post

--- snip ---

UPDATED:
    Since reading through the responses so far, I thought I'd post a bit more here about myself.
    I'm 45 and my wife is 44. Both are active and have no problems walking several miles a day.

--- snip ---
    I will be 63 at AirVenture Oshkosh 2020. Past several years I walked 12 to 17-miles per day at AirVenture.
    Gary A. Sobek
    EAA Lifetime Member
    A&P, Homebuilder, Pilot

When once you have tasted flight,
    you will forever walk the earth
    with your eyes turned skyward,
    for there you have been,
    and there you will always long to return.
    - Leonardo da Vinci

I dont know anything about 5AM cant for the life of me think of any one who would want to come in then or anything that might be going on. Maybe a hot air ballon.I dont know your wife, but I think dragging her somewhere at 5AM is a greal way to make her hate anything to do with airplanes and maybe you. To each his own though.

Howdy, and welcome!
    Camping on the field you do pretty much have the run of the place, but if you are coming through the main gate I suspect that the hours are limited and posted on the website. As others have commented, there is no way to absorb the whole experience in the time you have. However, for those whose body clocks allow, early mornings are an excellent time to stroll the grounds and gawk at the biggest assemblage of flying machines on the planet. Also, they have been launching balloons very early on Saturday, I think, from the ultralight area for the last couple years. That is pretty neat, and since it occurs prior to the field opening for regular ops, it is quiet and you can hear the burners from a great distance. Conversely, the grounds are open well into the evening and lots more turf can be covered as energy allows. Along those lines, there are water fountains distributed around the grounds, so you can refill your water bottle frequently.
    Again, as others have mentioned, the museum is a great place to avoid wx, but it must be said that it is truly a first rate facility. It can also be a nicely air conditioned place to cool off towards the evening, as long as it's not closed due to some special event. The seaplane base is also a neat thing to experience, and if you take the time to go there, you might take the boat ride around the lagoon just because.
    I would probably avoid the exhibit buildings and fly market entirely unless you are hard core shopping. They eat a lot of time when there are airplanes to ogle.
    You will have a blast. Try to arrive somewhat oriented, but you will be knee deep in like minded friends and help with anything is just one 'excuse me..." away.

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post
    Mr. Bill, so we will get to OSH on Wednesday after lunch. Once we get our wristband, on Thursday and Friday we can just show up at any time and go in? Even at 5am?
    (we will be at OSH Weds afternoon, Thurs and Fri. Flying out on Sat morning)
    Yeah, I think access gates is 24hrs if you have a wristband to show the gate volunteer. Access gates are everywhere but wristbands are not available at these locations.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatejcek View Post
    Howdy, and welcome!
    Camping on the field you do pretty much have the run of the place, but if you are coming through the main gate I suspect that the hours are limited and posted on the website. As others have commented, there is no way to absorb the whole experience in the time you have. However, for those whose body clocks allow, early mornings are an excellent time to stroll the grounds and gawk at the biggest assemblage of flying machines on the planet. Also, they have been launching balloons very early on Saturday, I think, from the ultralight area for the last couple years. That is pretty neat, and since it occurs prior to the field opening for regular ops, it is quiet and you can hear the burners from a great distance. Conversely, the grounds are open well into the evening and lots more turf can be covered as energy allows. Along those lines, there are water fountains distributed around the grounds, so you can refill your water bottle frequently.
    Again, as others have mentioned, the museum is a great place to avoid wx, but it must be said that it is truly a first rate facility. It can also be a nicely air conditioned place to cool off towards the evening, as long as it's not closed due to some special event. The seaplane base is also a neat thing to experience, and if you take the time to go there, you might take the boat ride around the lagoon just because.
    I would probably avoid the exhibit buildings and fly market entirely unless you are hard core shopping. They eat a lot of time when there are airplanes to ogle.
    You will have a blast. Try to arrive somewhat oriented, but you will be knee deep in like minded friends and help with anything is just one 'excuse me..." away.
    Fantastic info. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Yeah, I think access gates is 24hrs if you have a wristband to show the gate volunteer. Access gates are everywhere but wristbands are not available at these locations.
    Awesome. Thanks a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I dont know anything about 5AM cant for the life of me think of any one who would want to come in then or anything that might be going on. Maybe a hot air ballon.I dont know your wife, but I think dragging her somewhere at 5AM is a greal way to make her hate anything to do with airplanes and maybe you. To each his own though.
    HAHAHA. Thanks.
    5am is sleeping in for me. She's pretty high maintenance, so getting up early is pretty common for her.
    With only 2 and a half days to be there, I'd prefer to get there early and beat some of the heat and people.
    Yep, to each his own I suppose. The world is full of people different than me.

If y’all read the eHotline that came out yesterday, there are major parking and tram changes for 2020. No more blue lot, frinstance. It’s now the D lot and is only open to disabled folks and permit parking.

Parking gates open 6 am. I was always under the impression that the main gate closed at some point in the evening as several times when we leave they have them mostly closed. Perhaps just to funnel folks into a narrower opening to support fewer security folks.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton