Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Oshkosh first timer.

Tinman if you’re driving down Fremont be aware that there is only one place to get you’re morning coffee and gas after getting on 10 and that’s just after getting on 45 South at the Winchester exit. There is nothing else until getting south of Lake Butte de Morts and then you’re in Oshkosh and back into civilization. Plan accordingly.

It’s an easy drive, virtually no traffic. Traffic backs up fast due to the slow parking process. Saturday is the worst; all the locals come for the big air show.

Most people going to AV stay on the 41 corridor and don’t realize just how quickly the area turns back to farm country. If you’re driving In the twilight or dark watch out for the deer. Even though it’s 4 lane all the way the deer don’t seem to know it.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Tinman if you’re driving down Fremont be aware that there is only one place to get you’re morning coffee and gas after getting on 10 and that’s just after getting on 45 South at the Winchester exit. There is nothing else until getting south of Lake Butte de Morts and then you’re in Oshkosh and back into civilization. Plan accordingly.

It’s an easy drive, virtually no traffic. Traffic backs up fast due to the slow parking process. Saturday is the worst; all the locals come for the big air show.

Most people going to AV stay on the 41 corridor and don’t realize just how quickly the area turns back to farm country. If you’re driving In the twilight or dark watch out for the deer. Even though it’s 4 lane all the way the deer don’t seem to know it.
    There is now a A&W and Shell gas station with convenience store at the Winneconne Hwy 116 exit as well.

Thanks everyone for the commentary so far on this post. Mr. Bill, I also appreciate you & your input.
    Bill, you’re also correct in that I had a plan before I submitted this post here. I’m a believer in making a plan & working the plan. I’m definitely a planner.
    Before I made this post I had read through every post in the first 10 pages of this particular forum. Looking for answers I might have.
    The man I bought my airplane from (who’s also my hanger mate) is a volunteer & a representative for an Ultralight company who has been a big part of OSH for many many years. I’ve also gotten a lot of good info & tips from him. So, yeah, I have a little more info than my first post might have led some to believe.
    With all that said, as a newbie, I still have questions & things I need to know. Plus, I know other noobs will come here looking for a few answers. I’m hoping they can find some of their questions answered here.

Bill, you’re ALSO correct in that you don’t know my wife. LOL She’s been here on the forums & is quiet excited about our trip to “the big airshow”. I can’t count the number of days she’s had me up before daylight to hit the beach early to collect sea shells, watch the sun rise on many cruise ships, walk the streets of NYC (3:30am) to stand in a line to be part of the recording of a popular late night talk show & a number of other activities. It’s pretty simple actually, we get up early to do things we enjoy that we don’t normally get to do when we’re at home. We promise not to wake you or anyone else up while we enjoy our time at OSH.
    Oh, and since you asked Bill (but has no reason to even be part of this discussion), our kid is grown & has made us grandparents & we aren’t pet owners. LOL

I hope others will continue to chime in here with info on what we (the newbies) might need to know as we plan our trip to the big airshow.
    Last edited by TinmanJones; 03-09-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Hey Tinman, what part of the country are you from, you may have mentioned it, and if so, I didn't see it. My flying buddy and I have made the drive from South Carolina twice, right at a thousand miles one way, not my favorite way to go but we got there just the same. We flew commercial one time and stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm Campground, it's adjacent to the EAA grounds and is pretty good. I have considered staying at the dorms and now that you have brought up the cabins, that's another possibility. If my wife ever decides to come with me, it will definitely have to be a place with A/C, LOL! Anyway, just wondering and thanks for starting this thread, lots of good info.
    Bob

Tinman, I am about speechless. If you asked a lot of New Yorkers, if they thought being out at 3:30 am was a safe time to visit, or the best time for instance to see a play, I think they would say mostly you make yourself a good target for muggers. There is a whole movie starring Jack Lemon, cant recall the title about a naïve out of state couple coming to N Y and of course getting mugged and on and on. And no I am not from NY have friends that are.
    I like to promote aviation and I like the Airventure convention. I do know sometimes folks, men , who love to camp but wives may not love portapoities and group showers as much. If you look at the grounds you see 90% old men, same as the convention I just went to in Mobile.
    I would disregard everything I have written, it seems you folks may be proof that we really are visited by beings from up there somewhere. I was going to offer to meet you and see if I could be of any help in person, but don't know what I could offer. And you wont wake me, I wont be there at 5am.