Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh first timer.

Tinman, if you get to EAA at 5AM what exactly are you going to do? It can often be damp and foggy that time of morning, I doubt if any of the concessions are even open, or the forums etc. If you are driving, wonder if the parking lots are open, I doubt if any of the trams are running.

It’s probably a pretty good time to get some airplane photos without people in the pictures. Sunrise is about 5:30 at that time of year.

Someone once mentioned to me that the grounds are actually open 24 hours a day, so technically you could buy Monday admission and stay all week as long as you never pass an entrance gate. It’s pretty difficult and impractical to do though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    Someone once mentioned to me that the grounds are actually open 24 hours a day, so technically you could buy Monday admission and stay all week as long as you never pass an entrance gate.
    You mean like in the Tom Hanks movie "The Terminal". 24/7 in an airport terminal. Can never leave, probably dies from eating only airport food.

Except that the wristbands if memory serves are color coded so wandering security staff might notice?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Except that the wristbands if memory serves are color coded so wandering security staff might notice?
    I've walked the grounds a couple of different days after leaving the armband at the campsite. Going through the gates, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Tinman, if you get to EAA at 5AM what exactly are you going to do? It can often be damp and foggy that time of morning, I doubt if any of the concessions are even open, or the forums etc. If you are driving, wonder if the parking lots are open, I doubt if any of the trams are running.
    The same thing i’ll do at 10am, 3pm & 9pm. Soak up OSH & ooogle over airplanes. Oh, & find coffee. LOL
    Lifes too short to sleep alllllll morning. 😁

I well know the feeling - lol - and the oogling is FREE!
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post
    The same thing i’ll do at 10am, 3pm & 9pm. Soak up OSH & ooogle over airplanes. Oh, & find coffee. LOL
    Lifes too short to sleep alllllll morning. 

I agree with you. I'm an "awake" person. I go to bed late and get up early.

Walking the field early in the morning can be quite enjoyable. Few people, it’s quiet and the sunrise affords the opportunity for some spectacular photos, overall kinda zen like. I always recommend if you drive in bring an extra pair or two of walking shoes and socks. If there’s a heavy dew or if it’s rained you'll be glad you did.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I can see why your wife is reluctant to come with you. Who wouldn't relish a 17 hour day such as if you start at 5 am and stay till 10pm? You should also look into attending a hot air balloon session, they love to get up at 5am. And you certainly don't need any of my advice for visiting the convention since you have already determined how you are going to do it. Got any kids? Like maybe a 3 year old that you could put in a stroller and make sure he gets plenty of sun burn or a dog you could drag in to enjoy the jet noise?
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-08-2020 at 10:05 AM.