Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh first timer.

Thanks a ton.
    The issue I’m finding with that site is everything on the schedule page is still in 2019. Not updated for 2020.
    I’d love to be able to see a 2020 schedule of events. Maybe it’ll update soon.
    We will be renting a car & sleeping in Fremont.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    This might be of some use to you -

https://www.eaa.org/airventure/plan-...ing-to-oshkosh

The Bus park is quite near the Main entrance, and a convenient starting point to AirVenture.

report back on how those cabins are.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post
    Thanks a ton.
    The issue I’m finding with that site is everything on the schedule page is still in 2019. Not updated for 2020.
    I’d love to be able to see a 2020 schedule of events. Maybe it’ll update soon.
    Too early Tinman. Check back on the website above in about 4 weeks and then keep checking every week thereafter and then every day before you go. Prepare to be overwhelmed once you're on the grounds. Get organized with a list of what you think you want to see and do with the limited time you have, take a deep breath, go one step at a time and enjoy.

Say hi to Dorothy and Toto for me.

Edit: One more important thing to consider because of your short stay: Don't spend much time sitting on the flightline watching the daily 5 hour airshow grind- it will severely cut into your time to see and do the things on your list.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 03-04-2020 at 02:15 PM.

If you only have 2 days it means you can see maybe 20%. You have to plan. Waribrds are at one end and ultralights 2miles south, and the tram in between might take an hour depending on crowds. I like to fly so for me I'd try to go on the Tri Motor just as soon as I could. You can see the warbirds pretty well in half day and watch airshow from there. Ultralights usually fly early in the day.
    So what to skip? The museum is great, and esp if weather is bad. But good aviation museuems are availble elsewhere too. If you do go you can see most of it in a couple hours. Seaplanes are good, but takes bout half day. You can have lunch there. Pioneer airport is good, but takes several hours also.
    There are 4 big vendor hangars, good stuff but you may not be into shopping there, lots of engines aviaionics tech stuff. Takes couple of hours jus to walk through.
    Really if you could arrange so you have 2 more days you could see much of it without being rushed.

Figure out what you want to see. For me, I love the antiques and homebuilts. I also walk through the commercial buildings and fly-market at least twice. Since I'm there for 4-5 days, I make a trek to the ultralights and another trek to the warbirds.

For me, the most fun is sitting under shade somewhere, drinking a beer, and talking with fellow pilots. This is especially fun after the daily airshow when everyone is tired, but there's still an unofficial airshow as display aircraft arrive after hours. Another fun activity is walking the grounds in the evening. Some areas (warbirds, in particular) are secured, but Aeroshell Square can be spectacular after dark.

I usually skip the airshows, or at least watch from far away (less noise) and under shade. The evening airshow is spectacular.

I took the Tri Motor ride in 2018 and it was advertised that if you went early, they reduced the price a little, and they did, and it was worth it. I also did the helicopter ride and it was only about $49.00 I believe and you can really get an idea of just how big A/V really is, well worth it. Also, the ultralights generally fly early morning and again late afternoon. I'm excited for you.
    Bob

I would really try, even with limited time to get up in a copter, goes from Pioneer north of the museum or the Tri Motor which has its own little house just south of warbirds. They will get full and crowded. The B-17 no longer flies out of Oshkosh, sorry to say.

I've been thinking about the Tri-motor ride. I've never been in a heli, so that might be fun to do too, since we're just jumping out there with all these new adventures (my wife's words). :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I would really try, even with limited time to get up in a copter, goes from Pioneer north of the museum or the Tri Motor which has its own little house just south of warbirds. They will get full and crowded. The B-17 no longer flies out of Oshkosh, sorry to say.

The TriMotor rides were about $75 the last few years and IMHO the BEST $$ you will ever spend in aviation. A lifetime of memories from a comparatively smallish fee and the rare chance to experience time travel first-hand in a piece of flying history.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I've grabbed a few screenshots of the Tri and sent to my wife. Her response "hmm, that's big." :-)

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The TriMotor rides were about $75 the last few years and IMHO the BEST $$ you will ever spend in aviation. A lifetime of memories from a comparatively smallish fee and the rare chance to experience time travel first-hand in a piece of flying history.