Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh first timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I can see why your wife is reluctant to come with you. Who wouldn't relish a 17 hour day such as if you start at 5 am and stay till 10pm? You should also look into attending a hot air balloon session, they love to get up at 5am. And you certainly don't need any of my advice for visiting the convention since you have already determined how you are going to do it. Got any kids? Like maybe a 3 year old that you could put in a stroller and make sure he gets plenty of sun burn or a dog you could drag in to enjoy the jet noise?
    This post is totally uncalled for.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Seems that Bill's having a rough week. I had to ignore him on another forum. Wish this forum had that tool.

Todd, do you really think that advising a first time visitor to EAA who describes his wife as reluctant to come to "the big airshow" where there can be 90* plus tempertures and miles of walking with little shade, is helped by advising him to do 17 hour days?
    Actually since we have a mutual dislike, along with Gleason who aslo seems to be an Airventure newcomer and asked for help,that we should meet face to face to resolve differences. Lets say the main gate on opening day at 5AM. I might be a bit late, though.
    And Todd if you really do have a drinking problem, as you write on your post, maybe an aviation site is not the best place to include that.

Bill get over yourself. I don’t dislike you. I do think you are a hypocrite and a blow hard. You seem to take disagreements personal and are quick to label anyone who chooses to disagree with you. You make faulty assumptions and hasty generalizations without facts and then you get upset when called out. You’ve posted here and other forums about others calling you names or basically being rude—you need to take a look in the mirror.

As far as meeting face to face, I see no point but if you insist I’m more that happy to oblige as keyboard warriors don’t impress or intimidate me in the least.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

You can put him on ignore, I did it a lonf time ago. Click on his name, then click profile. You will see the option to ignore. It works!

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post
    The same thing i’ll do at 10am, 3pm & 9pm. Soak up OSH & ooogle over airplanes. Oh, & find coffee. LOL
    Lifes too short to sleep alllllll morning. 
    +1

Whilst I'll concede that I do come from (far) away (pun intended) and like to make the most of my visit, if anyone is going to make the Osh pilgrimage to worship at the temple of aviation, why the hell wouldn't you make every day a 17-hours event? We get up at 5:30, spend all day at the airport, back to the dorms for a quick shower, a meal & a few medicinal ales, then back to the airport for the night show. Back to the dorms by about 11:00pm, download photos to laptop and up again by 5:30 am to repeat what we did the previous day. It's insane but heaps of fun; btw, I'm 58 y.o. but trapped in a 10 y.o's. body.

This will be my wife's 28th Oshkosh (if I counted things right). When she started going, she wasn't into airplanes (and really was afraid of flying). She'll never be a morning person. I usually get up and start up Vintage Ops before she gets up (and she runs the place).

Well George, I knew you were telling the truth when you said Ausie and " a few Ales:, I dont have an Ausie liver and I need to sleep especially when I am flying in the show. Even when I was younger, and first years coming to the convention, I found it better to pace myself, and I do stay the whole week. I dont know any ladies who like to go without sleep and get up before the sun, but to each his own. I offered what has worked for me over the years, others may prefer even the opposite. I also do social things away from the field and have enjoyed that over the years. Ive had drinks with Bob Hoover and dont think Bob was ever up at 5am.

Hey Bill, thanks for the comments.

...I dont have an Ausie liver...
    Neither do I, Bill. I have one that has evolved from my family's Mediterranean background. Never have more than a couple of beers with a meal.

...I dont know any ladies who like to go without sleep and get up before the sun, but to each his own. ...
    You should get out more because they're out there, mate.

On a serious note, from Australia it's a long way to anywhere and it usually requires three flights (YMML - LAX - ORD - ATW, with total flying time of about 20hrs) to get to Osh. When I'm there, I want to make good use of every minute of every hour of every day. And, like the Tinman said, when the time comes, pushin' up daisies is going to be a full-time job. I won't have a spare minute to do anything else...

George, are you bringing one of the ladies who doesn't like sleep with you from Aus?
    I have not been down there, would like to but one reason is the distance and travel time involved. If I was doing that trip I would overnight in L A or somewhere.
    My advice was for the original poster who asked for advise, and especially how he described his wife's reluctance, though obviously he had pre- determined how he is going to do the convention. Your situation is your own. I was on a flight from Turkey for about 10 hours and hated it. About one more hour and Isis might have recruited me, I hated being in the plane. Ive gone to Hawaii, about 8 hours and was not too bad.
    Once in flying the airshow at Nellis AFB I missed the pilot's briefing. I actually thought the guy was joking when he said the briefing was at 4:30 am.