Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future events affected

The HQ CENTCOM Surgeon's Office uses CDC data during their daily COVID-19 update brief (to which I'm privvy) to the CENTCOM Commander. So if the CDC is good enough for them as an authoritative data source to brief the 4-Star, it's good enough for me. YMMV.....
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Per AvWeb and other aviation sources.

"Sun ‘n Fun has been postponed until May 5 to 10, 2020 on concerns over the spread of Covid-19. According to Tampa’s foxnews13, the city of Lakeland made the announcement on Friday morning"

"Refrain from kissing strangers"????? What better way to get to know someone? Except maybe if they let you fly their airplane. I literally felt some other world type force like a magnet or sideways gravity pullling me in every time I walked by that Spitfire Mk V. And i dont have a twin raitng, do have a little B-17 time, but I sure would like to borrow that Mosquito for a half hour. Hey, if I bend it I'll pay you back, $100 day for the next century!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-14-2020 at 11:35 AM.

The other factor to consider is the psychological one. If the COVID-19 plague is real bad, people will be skittish about emerging from self-isolation, even when told it is safe to do so. So, medically, the end of July might be safe, but there may still be a bunch of people who aren't ready to risk it, yet.

It's like kids at the end of the school year, vs. penguins lined up on an ice floe wondering if a predator is in the water. The kids will explode out of the classroom door, ready to go, while the penguins will crowd at the edge of the floe until one loses its balance and drops in the water. And proves, one way or another, whether it's safe.*

From the comments I've seen on various forums, pilots tend to fall in the first category.

However, events like AirVenture (and, increasingly, SNF) have become more reliant on the non-pilot populace, too. Might end up with fewer "casual" visitors, vs. the pilots that make this a destination most years.

Which means, for us, it should tend to be a pretty good show...shorter lines, less crowding, less risk of damage to aircraft.

Doesn't do EAA's bottom line any good, though.....

Ron Wanttaja

*This must be true, I read it in "Mr. Popper's Penguins" when I was about eight years old.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The other factor to consider is the psychological one. If the COVID-19 plague is real bad, people will be skittish about emerging from self-isolation, even when told it is safe to do so. So, medically, the end of July might be safe, but there may still be a bunch of people who aren't ready to risk it, yet.

It's like kids at the end of the school year, vs. penguins lined up on an ice floe wondering if a predator is in the water. The kids will explode out of the classroom door, ready to go, while the penguins will crowd at the edge of the floe until one loses its balance and drops in the water. And proves, one way or another, whether it's safe.*

From the comments I've seen on various forums, pilots tend to fall in the first category.

However, events like AirVenture (and, increasingly, SNF) have become more reliant on the non-pilot populace, too. Might end up with fewer "casual" visitors, vs. the pilots that make this a destination most years.

Which means, for us, it should tend to be a pretty good show...shorter lines, less crowding, less risk of damage to aircraft.

Doesn't do EAA's bottom line any good, though.....

Ron Wanttaja

*This must be true, I read it in "Mr. Popper's Penguins" when I was about eight years old.

This is the camp I'm in. I'm 61 years old. I AM going to OSH, unless I hear at the last minute it's cancelled. Then I'll probably go anyway to see my campground owners/friends, Jeff and Pam and the gang.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    This is the camp I'm in. I'm 61 years old. I AM going to OSH, unless I hear at the last minute it's cancelled. Then I'll probably go anyway...
    If/when they cancel it won't be at the last minute, EAA won't be that draconian, will they?

I plan to go to A/V this year wheather I get to fly in or drive. I haven't purchased tickets or campground space yet but there's plenty of time. I'm 73, I had the flu in Dec. and then in Jan. I had a bad cough that lasted about 3 weeks and Dec. of 2018 I had pneumonia but I'm still kickin'. I don't have specific plans laid out yet except to be in Oshkosh at least by opening day and preferably a day or two before.
    Bob That's all I've got to say about that. Where's my inhaler !

I’m in the same boat.
    We are planning on heading up to WI sometime in June. Wanted to also take advantage of some of the other in-state events like the Iola car show and the state fair in August. We were planning on playing host to the former LM chief test pilot who looped the C130J at the Farnborough airshow. I got to fly the profile in the sim but being an FTE I was not allowed to be onboard for the real thing, dang.
    The virus appears to be slowly spreading north possibly from Chicago. My grand kids called and told me that school has been cancelled for the next couple of weeks. One of my buddies told me the stores have been stripped bare, like everywhere else. Sure hope that’s a short lived effect or it’s gonna make it tough on the campers, particularly the North 40 folks.
    I think most EAAers would appreciate smaller crowds. Good for us, bad for EAA.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I plan to go to A/V this year wheather I get to fly in or drive. I haven't purchased tickets or campground space yet but there's plenty of time. I'm 73, I had the flu in Dec. and then in Jan. I had a bad cough that lasted about 3 weeks and Dec. of 2018 I had pneumonia but I'm still kickin'. I don't have specific plans laid out yet except to be in Oshkosh at least by opening day and preferably a day or two before.
    Bob That's all I've got to say about that. Where's my inhaler !
    Beautiful, tremendous, perfect.

Things should be ok by end of July but it will likely be the lawyers that make the decision for EAA on canceling the event. Trump said yesterday this could be an issue till July or possibly August; that can't help with planning. Sun N Fun has been rescheduled for May 5th but that falls inside the 8 week 50 or less people window. They are going to make a final decision on April 17th. I don't see SnF happening at all. I teach fabric covering at Sun and Fun and Airventure for Stewart Systems but I'm not making any plans for a while. We are a small company and can adapt quickly; I wonder about bigger companies? It won't be a big crowd at Airventure if it happens, that's for sure.
    Marty