Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Future events affected

I imagine everyone got the sale notice from HQ for the t-shirts: Oshkosh 2020 shirts for $12.99 with free shipping. Another month and they may be $5 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyfeehan View Post
    I had to cancel my ticket with AA for flight to Florida for SNF. They gave me a voucher but must rebook by end of December and fly within one year of original ticket. Since the next SNF is later, outside the 1 year I must fly with voucher, the voucher is pretty much worthless to me. That $500 is likely to go up in smoke. They have a process for requesting a refund but I don't expect to hear back on that request any time soon, or ever for that matter. The airlines are likely to get a bailout from gov and from tickets like mine that will go unused and unrefunded. Not happy with AA at all and very leary to rebook with them any time soon.
    Marty

Marty, I'd try for a refund if the voucher conditions are un-acceptable to you.

When our AA flight (Envoy Air) from ORD to ATW was cancelled due to storms on the Saturday before Airventure 2019, I received a full refund of the ORD to ATW fare PLUS a refund of the checked baggage charge. The cancelled flight was the second leg of a two-leg flight from NYC's La Guardia to ATW. It's worth trying, paticularly when it's $500.

What you in the USA, and we here in Australia, need is the consumer protection offered in Europe. It's the world's gold standard IMO.

Good luck with your quest for a refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I hope that EAA will keep Airventure going as planned as long as they can. We have 4months till then and things medically and publically may well improve. It is the biggest event of the year for me, and certianly the biggest aviation event. And it is the main reason I am a long time EAA member. Give it a chance to happen. And no one who has doubts is forced to attend if they hold it.

Once again, I doubt that much thought preceded this statement.

In my home town we have only one local who has been tested positive for the virus. We do have 18 visitors of a group from Australia of which all who were tested, 15 were positive.

I’m agreeing with Bill on this one. It’s just not summer without the 4th of July or AV. I always look forward to both.

Right now there are just too many moving pieces to the puzzle to say yea or nay. There is so much planning involved EAA has to assume the show is a go. It’s far easier to delay or cancel. Am I planning on attending - yup. Am I buying advances tickets - nope.

So if Evers cancels his gathering/shutdown mandate is AV a go, or is EAA looking at other metrics? Would be curious to know what would drive the decision.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    In my home town we have only one local who has been tested positive for the virus. We do have 18 visitors of a group from Australia of which all who were tested, 15 were positive.

Hey Bill, thanks for your response.
    I cannot understand the reasoning behind your response. Are you saying that Australians are infecting your home town or that you believe that only one person in your home town is infected, or both? I sincerely hope that only one resident is indeed infected but I fear that you may soon learn otherwise. Twenty six thousand of your fellow Americans have tested positive which probably means that an order of magnitude higher may be already infected.

I wish you all the best for the forthcoming battle with this virus and hope that it does not directly affect you or your friends and family. I do not expect to visit this year (although airfares have been purchased and dorm accommodation booked) but I look forward to coming over next year for Airventure 2021.

Dave, I am probably more hopeful than actually betting on EAA going forth. I wonder if they don't stick to July, if a slighter later date, say late Sept might work. obviously with kids back in school then it will be smaller, but might still be good weather. and hotels have openings then. Both of my Sons call me several time to tell me not to go out. Maybe I am not fearful enough, but as I wrote we don't have even one person here in the hospital with it. Now they wont test you unless your have symptoms and maybe there are people who just don't know they are positive yet. We are a small town and generally a younger, somewhat healthier population. Our hospital says our life expectancy is 10 years more than average, the big factor being almost no one smokes tobacco here. I used to be more active, ran 3 10k races and skied a lot. and Im probably within 5 lbs of good weight. We don't have the air pollution from autos like some big cities, and for as I know don't have the real hard core drug use, though lots of pot. I don't use, at least not yet, but then we've only been all shut down a week. I m sure washing my hands 10 times a day.

PS, what is clean,what is sanitary? A few months back we went to Mexico City for my daughter in law to run the marathon, ( finished in a little over 4 hours!). Anyway I tried to be safe and clean, while she and Charles ate from every street vendor booth they could find. They didn't really get sick either. They are both young, athletic, and incredibly strong and they eat healthier than I do, a lot of weird green stuff!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-22-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Wisconsin fall color can be quite spectacular but.....
    September in WI is definitely one of those transition months, can go either way. Last year folks were praying for an early frost to kill off the hoards of mosquitoes, not the two engine types. Hiring all of the temp help would be a challenge too.

Last I heard there was no virus detected in the Fox River Valley area. Unfortunately AV has such a large draw the risk is someone coming from a more active area. Quite honestly I think the probability of the virus burning itself out or a vaccine developed and available by then is low so the government prohibition on large events will still be in effect. Hope for the best.

I would think if they can’t get it in by say Labor Day we’re done for the year.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime

Well it seems there's only one person of this forum that is informed and educated enough to make a rational decision, so here's an idea. All us comon folk that have a life insurance policy or savings account, go ahead and cash that sucker in, 'cause we're all gonna die in the very near future, if we even think about going out of the house. I think I'm going to have a big cook out, with some BBQ Possum, some squrriel, maybe some crow and of course dead pig, and invite the whole town. It will be our last hooray, then we can all go lie down and just fade away.
    Bob, what cya gonna do !
    PS, I'm still planning on A/V if it's on, but I'm not buying a ticket yet. (at least the last part makes sense)

Not me. I’m gonna wait until it’s officially cancelled. Then I’ll declare the zombie apocalypse officially in effect. The Plan: Spend the week of what should have been AV bing watching The Walking Dead with a healthy dose of old aviation movies.

In all seriousness, it’s a big country. Not all regions are being equally impacted. Societal behaviors should vary accordingly. The walkers in our subdivision have a unspoken double arms length rule and tend to gather in a giant school circle for chatting, that wouldn’t fly in NYC. Bottom line - Got to do what you think is best for yourself.
    But let me know when you’re gonna throw that dead pig on the grill. I’ll bring some beer.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime