Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Future events affected

I'm checking (googling different sites) daily on any news for AV. I booked non-refundable rooms and airline tix for the event. My fingers are crossed, but my hopes have dwindled.

My wife was supposed to fly into Appleton this past Monday. She had a non refundable ticket and Delta gave her a full refund. It took 2+ hours on hold but the refund process took less than 3 minutes. We have an acquaintance who has a hotel in the area and they’re sweating bullets too. The 3 week AV period represents 20% of their annual business. They are already starting to hurt due to low occupancy, cancelled events, closed restaurant. The local watering holes and eateries are suffering too.
    Too many unknowns and variables in play to know if AV going to be on schedule or even at all. For most, it takes a degree of commitment to get there. It’s tough dealing with the unknown.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    My wife was supposed to fly into Appleton this past Monday. She had a non refundable ticket and Delta gave her a full refund. It took 2+ hours on hold but the refund process took less than 3 minutes. We have an acquaintance who has a hotel in the area and they’re sweating bullets too. The 3 week AV period represents 20% of their annual business. They are already starting to hurt due to low occupancy, cancelled events, closed restaurant. The local watering holes and eateries are suffering too.
    Too many unknowns and variables in play to know if AV going to be on schedule or even at all. For most, it takes a degree of commitment to get there. It’s tough dealing with the unknown.
    I called and chatted with the manager where we have our room booked. If COVID-19 is an issue, we will get a full refund back from them. I explained that I hoped is wasn't an issue by then and all was right in the world.
    I sure don't want to cancel this trip.

Banned
    CAVEAT EMPTOR:

It was a very quiet Wednesday morning in September, 2053 when Jeremy the pilot got up from his bed with a need to go to the bathroom. To Jeremy this wasn't just any ordinary day! This was the day he would open the last package of toilet paper his grandparents bought in the year 2020.

From the willingness of most Americans to relinquish their personal freedoms, and the fact the the Wuhan Virus is spreading more rapidly, and flight restrictions are set to run through August, look for AirVenture to be postponed, or cancelled outright.

If the EAA continues with it as planned, they are going to take a major financial hit as attendance will be down...way down.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFlyGuy View Post
    and flight restrictions are set to run through August, look for AirVenture to be postponed, or cancelled outright.

If the EAA continues with it as planned, they are going to take a major financial hit as attendance will be down...way down.
    I tend to agree, July looks bad either way. What are the flight restrictions you mentioned?
    Thanks
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by TinmanJones View Post
    I'm checking (googling different sites) daily on any news for AV. I booked non-refundable rooms and airline tix for the event. My fingers are crossed, but my hopes have dwindled.
    I suspect you'll find that airlines and accommodation providers will give refunds or vouchers for future use. It is unlikely that, under this global emergency, any supplier of goods and services will deny refunds/vouchers. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    I suspect you'll find that airlines and accommodation providers will give refunds or vouchers for future use. It is unlikely that, under this global emergency, any supplier of goods and services will deny refunds/vouchers. Good luck.
    I had to cancel my ticket with AA for flight to Florida for SNF. They gave me a voucher but must rebook by end of December and fly within one year of original ticket. Since the next SNF is later, outside the 1 year I must fly with voucher, the voucher is pretty much worthless to me. That $500 is likely to go up in smoke. They have a process for requesting a refund but I don't expect to hear back on that request any time soon, or ever for that matter. The airlines are likely to get a bailout from gov and from tickets like mine that will go unused and unrefunded. Not happy with AA at all and very leary to rebook with them any time soon.
    Marty

I hope that EAA will keep Airventure going as planned as long as they can. We have 4months till then and things medically and publically may well improve. It is the biggest event of the year for me, and certianly the biggest aviation event. And it is the main reason I am a long time EAA member. Give it a chance to happen. And no one who has doubts is forced to attend if they hold it.

I agree with Bill.
    BUT, if you're sick...….satay home.