Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future events affected

Future events affected

With SNF 1st week of April, AV last week in July, and the Olympics last week in July and first week in August, these large venues may well be affected by the current virus infection. It'll be interesting to see how the organizations handle these large upcoming events. I'll confine my flights to the Intermountain West and visit the many out of the way, picturesque airfields out here.

Banned
    Large and small public gatherings all over the world are already being cancelled. OSH is months away so there is hopefully time to get this virus reduced and under more control. In any event a decision probably doesn't need to be made until the end of May subject to conditions at that time.

The Olympics in Tokyo is a very different situation that could be the most negatively impacted because of location, over 200 countries participating and the largest public gathering of humans in one place on the planet.

I heard that Saudi Arabia is considering cancelling Mecca.

I suspect EAA management is quietly monitoring the situation. Travel bans if still in effect will impact foreign attendance. The wild card will be if the outbreak is viewed in the US as “under control” or not. If attendance craters EAA could take a big financial hit. Impacts to the supply chain are already showing up - will we see it at AV? It’s anybody’s guess. Attendance to major functions in the late spring and early summer will be good markers. Let’s all hope this outbreak gets quickly controlled.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I think the media hype will affect events in the near term (like Sun-N-Fun), but I think people will be numb to it by AirVenture time.

Ron Wanttaja

Viruses seem to thrive in cold weather. Think about all the people jammed together in forum tents on the trams in line for food or porta potty, and I have been coming to EAAfor 40 years and never recall any widespread cold outbreak or any food poisoning episode. That is amazing condsidering how much food and drink is sold and is most cases from rather basic food tents and not full kitchens with all the cleaning facilities. And lots of people camping with group showers. And this also includes every fast food place and restaurant and hotel for probably 30 miles around. One thing handy is so much food is moved that you have fresh coming in everyday and not much sitting in storage getting spoiled. But with people coming from all over the world, I think we have been lucky as well as maybe good also.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 03-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.

There is a lot of misinformation and media hysteria too. The 'plain old flu' kills tens of thousands in the USA every year. Reports I've been reading on this latest strain would seem to indicate that most all who contract it have no life-threatening consequences. As always the greatest risk falls among those whose immune systems are already weakened.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I think the media hype will affect events in the near term (like Sun-N-Fun), but I think people will be numb to it by AirVenture time.

Ron Wanttaja
    If the virus becomes more widespread and containment is not occurring as quickly as health officials and experts would like, then the exact opposite will occur.

To be "numb to it" is to be in denial and unprepared. I also wouldn't call anything related to a worldwide disease outbreak "media hype".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Viruses seem to thrive in cold weather.
    I'm pretty confident that all those thousands who died from Ebola in sub-Sahara Africa would vehemently disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    If the virus becomes more widespread and containment is not occurring as quickly as health officials and experts would like, then the exact opposite will occur.

To be "numb to it" is to be in denial and unprepared. I also wouldn't call anything related to a worldwide disease outbreak "media hype".
    You're right; I should have used a term like media "Over-Hype." I'm just peeved at our local TV station using the term "Abundance of caution" six times in last night's half-hour newscast. As Randy pointed out, the average well person isn't that much at risk of dying. Having a 94-year-old father in assisted living, I'm worrying a bit about him.

Spanish Flu killed millions a century ago. The difference there was that it tended to kill the young and healthy. With much of the male youth of the world in the military for WWI, it ran rampant.

I've been retired for three years now, and have been amazed at how few colds or other communicable diseases I suffered over that time. Makes a difference not going daily to a work environment. Haven't had the flu, and am just getting over the only cold I've had over that time (mild). Got THAT from my wife...but in retrospect, her symptoms sounded a lot like Covid-19.

Covid-19's major threat is that it *doesn't* have a high fatality rate. It spreads more by not killing most of the hosts quickly.

Might be, as outdoor venues, air shows would be less prone to support the disease's spread. But I doubt that'll be a factor in people's decisions. In any case, a large percentage of attendees will be traveling in long incubation tubes made by Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, etc.

Ron Wanttaja

Floats I am not an expert on Ebola nor too concerned with it affecting EAA and I wont be visiting Africa, but just to be sure looked it up on internet. And , as often, it seems you are incorrect, Just on Ebola it says. "Cold increases Ebola survival." and other items mention how flu and norovirus thrive in cold weather, probably why it is called the common COLD, and why we have less flue cases in summer and are urged to get vaccinated in fall.
    It is great to know that you are monitoring every word I write, can of like the narcs looking though my trash.