Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: info on affordaplane

Post info on affordaplane

i am working on, the build of an affordaplane and would be interested in any helpful info and experience that you might share.
    thank you charles

I've seen several projects but I've never seen a true "A-plane" fly.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    I've seen several projects but I've never seen a true "A-plane" fly.
    Here is one builder with a flying Affordaplane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhvVjxHZGo

But this A-plane is waaaaay over weight for Part 103. It seems the A-Plane cannot be built to conform to Part 103.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I am currently building this Aircraft now, i am roughly 80% complete with all major materials, and parts in hand.
    where are you located, i am in central Ohio, and have a local A&P checking out my build for anything strange.

Robert

I've got the plans. Probably will never build it now.

The Belite seems like better bang for the buck and they don't see any reason the kit couldn't be registered as a home built. Or you can build/ have them build it as a true part 103.

Belite looks good, just a little costly for me.

i dont have the cash for the Belite, as it is now my current build will come out under 4,000.00 for the plane ready to fly, it will be a little fat and i know that going in.
    i can try to shave off weight later, once i see how far over i am.

Robert

I do thank all of you for your interest and info. I live in east texas and i would like to ask robert dingus, about the material list on the a plane. The material list calls for a type of alum that i could not find, but i think that what they really intended to call for was 6061t6 alum 2"x2" with a 1/8 wall. If you could let me know what you used it would be great. They are also calling for 190 rivets 3/16x1/4 stainless steel, but they did not give the type of head for the rivets, i think that they might be calling for podruding heads? Anything that you had a problem with i would like to hear about. I have made all the gussetts and built the table and done the drawing of the outline of the plane. Thank you again charles richardson

charles i also used the 6061T6 in my build, it is a better grade of metal over the 6053 called for in the plans. yes those are pop rivits, normal dome head rivits, so you dont need any special rivit puller just a good hand version will do,

Robert

I remember seeing the plans on the internet.. I purchased a set a while back and I never did anything with them. I was considering on building one at one point but after looking at the design, it kinda drew me away from the project. I have read that alot of people have built them but I have never seen one fly. So that Is the main reason why.. But I would look at the Belite if I were going to build an Ultralight. But now, I am building a Vans RV-4..

Building an aircraft to be FAR Part 103 ultralight compliant is not nearly as important as it used to be. IMHO, Register it as an experimental amateur built, light sport compliant, with an N number. My reasoning for this is:

1) The old 1980's idea of someone reading Popular Mechanics and building an "ultralight" and flying it without any instruction or training is simply not the right thing to do anymore. There were hundreds of completely preventable tragedies back then, and a far far safer way to do it now. If you go out to any modern ultralight air park or training facility, or talk to any ultralight manufacturers, they will ALL tell you to get some minimum amount of flight training for your own safety. 30 years of experience, wisdom, common sense, too many funerals back then, and much more safety now... will dictate that if you are a brand new or very low time pilot you should get some instruction. So unless you are being really stupid, you won't save a large amount of money on instruction by going the true ultralight route.

2) The difference between getting the minimum training to fly an ultralight safely, and the amount of training needed to earn your Sport Pilot (LSA) license, is not that much. Meaning that by the time you are safe enough for a US Ultralight Association member instructor to turn you loose in a Part 103 UL... you are likely halfway to the point of achieving your Sport Pilot license. The Sport Pilot license allows you to do many things than you cannot do with a 103 ultralight and no license.

3) Building a truly compliant Part 103 ultralight under 254 pounds, using the medium strength 6061 aluminum, square and round tubes, pop rivets, hardware store wheels, etc. is not easy. That is why most of them come out much heavier. More importantly, with that light of an aircraft, you will not have as much structural safety, and you will definitely have a very small low horsepower engine. Which means your performance will be marginal and your strength reserve will be less than most of the LSA airplanes.

4) Whether you build it as a Part 103 ultralight or an amateur build LSA, you will have the same "repairman" authority, because a 103 UL mechanic does not need any certification, and being the builder of a homebuilt LSA gives you the ability to have an LSA repairman certificate for that airplane. So you will not save any money on maintenance if you build it as a Part 103 UL.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com