Thread: retractable wing aircraft

retractable wing aircraft

so, is it true that I'll be uninsurable in a retractable gear aircraft / ownership till I have 100 hours training in one? where might I go to read up more on that. looking to buy my first plane, and want to know what I need to rule out.
    Last edited by Gregory Haley; 02-24-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Did you actually mean, "retractable landing gear" aircraft? If you *did* mean "retractable wing," there shouldn't be an insurance issue.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Did you actually mean, "retractable landing gear" aircraft? If you *did* mean "retractable wing," there shouldn't be an insurance issue.

Ron Wanttaja

JEEEEEZUS! well, I meant gear, but I guess if I had a retractable wing aircraft I could sell it and retire rich and not worry about the insurance, lol......sorry.

You do not say how much PIC time there is in your logbook. Folks have learned to fly from zero in a retract airplane but I will guess that their insurance bill is high for a while. I hear that many underwriters do require some minimum amount of dual instruction before covering solo flight. That is even for experienced pilots. Depends on the history of the type of airplane and the experience of the proposed pilot/owner.

My observation is that the first break on insurance is earned when you get an instrument rating. And that is even if the covered ship is certificated for day, VFR only. The next price break is around 250 hours. Maybe 1000 after that.

Best go to Barnstormers.com or Trade-A-Plane, then call an insurance broker or Avemco. Give them the make, model, description, and asking price for the ship that you might buy. Ask what they will quote for a pilot with your experience. Then you will know.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Haley View Post
    where might I go to read up more on that. looking to buy my first plane, and want to know what I need to rule out.
    Call an insurance provider give them your pilot info and have them run some generic quotes. You'll get an idea of what to avoid. If you're looking at getting a 700P Aerostar that will probably be uninsurable until you have ~100 hrs in type. A cessna 182RG, 10-25 hrs in type should do it. Just depends on what you're starting with.

Pick the plane you want and do basic insurance due diligence. If you do need 100 hours find a qualified pilot without a nice plane to fly and add him on your insurance policy till you have the 100 hours. It should be no problem finding some one to fly to KOSH with you. There is no need for 100 hours of paid CFI dual if you have the wallet for fuel and some good meals.

I am retired, Drop me a line. There are plenty of places to go.

Uninsurable? I doubt it. Expensive insurance? Probably. The insurance market got a lot tighter this year. Much will also depend on the hull value of the plane. Talk to a broker.