Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB Plug for Ultralight?

USB Plug for Ultralight?

Good evening.
    I’d like to install a USB plug into my airplane w/out spending $300+ like those on Airplane Spruce.
    What are you all using to keep iPads & iPhones charged in your airplanes?
    USB plugs fitted into a panel, cigarette plugs w/ the adapters that fit? Or is there something else I’m not seeing that would work?
    Thanks.

NONCERTIFIED aircraft, yes, both USB plugs mounted in the panel and cigarette lighter adapters have worked for me. Recommend you get the same output capacity as the supplied AC adapter.

I would suggest a cigarette lighter socket and an adapter in that, that way it's easier to replace if it craps out or you need to upgrade to the latest greatest fast charging standard.

here is my 2, .02 cent idea's.........look for / google "marine usb" items , the cost should be more in line with what you are wanting.....here is a llink to a dual usb """https://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/12_24V_Dual_USB_2.1A_Charger""" , most things via the "blue seas" should be ok for your usage ,,,,,another idea ""this worked for me "" is a cigar plug / usb out of the "sporty catalog " / , the last one that i got for "Sporty" catalog the one i have use was listed on the third page......................good day / good luck / rick

Watch out. Most cheap-o USB charger plugs throw a lot of RF noise that can cause havoc with the antiquated modulations used in aviation radios.

Take a look at Belite Aircraft - Radiant Technologies. They sell a dual port USB plug for $75. They are back up and running for instrument deliveries since last June’s fire.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I put two in my Hatz, one is a dual USB power with a voltmeter and the other is a plain cigarette socket that I can plug anything into. Oddly, one of the USB others causes my intercom to break squelch, while the other one in the same device does not.

I have a $3 plug in adapter (goes into the 12V port) for the RV-6. I think I picked it up out of a bin at a computer store.

Happily, it doesn't produce any electronic noise in the RV-6.

Cheap *can* work.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Take a look at Belite Aircraft - Radiant Technologies. They sell a dual port USB plug for $75. They are back up and running for instrument deliveries since last June’s fire.
    Airmutt, thanks. I have a Belite Radiant VSI, ASI & Altitude instrument in my FP202. I'll go see if I can find one of these USB plugs. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Airmutt, looking at the Belite USB plug, can you tell me how this hooks up to power? I've looked at the pic on the site, but it only shows the front of the plug and not the back, showing how this hooks up. Any help?