Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your wishlist for Oshkosh 2020

I think Bill is talking about the summer of 2012 which pretty near record heat. Wisconsin summers are usually pretty darn nice compared to the south. The temperature extremes are pretty wild for July with a record high of 107 F and a record low of 24 F (WHAT!?!?). Well, at least there has been no snow in July.

Surprised no one has said a knucklehead free Fisk approach.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Might have been 2012, cant recall, but I was at that fish restaurant at the southwest corner of Lake Winnebago and standing in the waiting line, IN THE SHADE, under the roof overhang, and there was a thermometer on the wall and it read 40* C, plus a little. I grew up in the south and bought a plane in Phoenix which of course gets that hot as a routine, but I m not out in it there, and the humidity that day made it worse.
    We've had some nice cool weather last few years.
    As for the Fisk arrival, mainly I wish people would quit complaining about how bad it is. Just slow to 90 and follow the plane ahead, and listen. Or buy a T-6 and come in the other route by following the rules for that side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Might have been 2012, cant recall, but I was at that fish restaurant at the southwest corner of Lake Winnebago and standing in the waiting line, IN THE SHADE, under the roof overhang, and there was a thermometer on the wall and it read 40* C, plus a little. I grew up in the south and bought a plane in Phoenix which of course gets that hot as a routine, but I m not out in it there, and the humidity that day made it worse.
    We've had some nice cool weather last few years.
    As for the Fisk arrival, mainly I wish people would quit complaining about how bad it is. Just slow to 90 and follow the plane ahead, and listen. Or buy a T-6 and come in the other route by following the rules for that side.
    That’s the rub— people don’t slow to 90, or worse don’t maintain 90 or altitude or follow the rules. Otherwise it’s just peachy. I missed the last 2 years of utter fiasco by coming in IFR.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I agree on the Fisk arrival. Of course there's always some jerk who can't follow the rules (or never read them). On the program in general I could do with less 'flip/flops' and announcers hyping everything. Of course as a'vintage guy" I like vintage fly bys. Not to mention watching the cross wind arrivals (isn't there always a cross wind?)
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Well, Todd that's the way "Mac" does it, fly on an Ifr flight plan so most everybody else has to get out of your way. Myself, if I get too old to fly in vfr, I will probably come by airliner, did that once, or car, had to do that a couple of times.
    If you go to Airventure and the essence of the whole event, the whole week, is a few minutes on the Fisk arrival where some other pilots did not fly it perfectly, I think you need to drop by our state for some buds. When you drive a car, you have to look out for others who may not fully stop at every stop sign or drive the speed limit. It's part of it.

Well, Todd that's the way "Mac" does it, fly on an Ifr flight plan so most everybody else has to get out of your way. Myself, if I get too old to fly in vfr, I will probably come by airliner, did that once, or car, had to do that a couple of times.
    If you go to Airventure and the essence of the whole event, the whole week, is a few minutes on the Fisk arrival where some other pilots did not fly it perfectly, I think you need to drop by our state for some buds. When you drive a car, you have to look out for others who may not fully stop at every stop sign or drive the speed limit. It's part of it.
    You don’t seem to be aware of the details of the arrivals last year and in 2018– IOW you don’t know what you’re talking about. It was waaay more than a few bad eggs gumming up the works. As for my IFR arrivals, again you don’t have a clue. When I arrived it was MVFR one year and IFR the next. I had slot reservation both times IAW with the NOTAM and didn’t put anybody out by staying IFR all the way. In the 3 years prior to that I was IFR Enroute but cancelled 60 miles out and joined the VFR arrival, again per the NOTAM.

so save the lecture and recommendations for someone else.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Yes. Todd must be that I am unaware of the details of the arrival. I am a slow learner , but have been coming every year since 1982, all but a few flying in. My co pilot these last two years has also been flying in for some time, and he is one of the parking volunteers. Im pretty simple, like most of the other 10,000 pilots flying in, I dont have a slot. If the weather is imc we stop or divert somewhere like Appleton or Madison. Othwerwise we go to the NE corner of that lake and find Ripon and follow the tracks to Fisk and on to Osh. If there is a plane ahead we follow it. I am not really aware of the ifr procedures other than I dont want to fly low over the water on the approach to 27.
    I think we really ought to have a 2 week convention , one week for you and Mac and the jets arriving ifr and the 2nd week for the ordinary folks.

Yes. Todd must be that I am unaware of the details of the arrival. I am a slow learner , but have been coming every year since 1982, all but a few flying in. My co pilot these last two years has also been flying in for some time, and he is one of the parking volunteers. Im pretty simple, like most of the other 10,000 pilots flying in, I dont have a slot. If the weather is imc we stop or divert somewhere like Appleton or Madison. Othwerwise we go to the NE corner of that lake and find Ripon and follow the tracks to Fisk and on to Osh. If there is a plane ahead we follow it. I am not really aware of the ifr procedures other than I dont want to fly low over the water on the approach to 27.
    I think we really ought to have a 2 week convention , one week for you and Mac and the jets arriving ifr and the 2nd week for the ordinary folks.
    It doesn’t matter how many years you’ve flown in. If you don’t know the details of the past two years then your opinion is worthless. I flew the VFR arrival in 15, 16, and 17 without issue. In 18 and last year the weather was lousy so we stayed on our clearance all the way in IAW the NOTAM. Something else you seem to be unaware of is OSH is governed by a Special Traffic Management Plan that requires IFR slot reservations for both IFR arrivals and departures. For arrivals there are only 4 slots per hour. 4 IFR arrivals per hour hardly constitutes a problem for ATC sequencing the VFR arrivals. So you can climb down off your high horse, curb the indignation, and go back to complaining about high summer temps.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Todd , it will be a cold day in July before you dictate what I think or write. And I don't know how many ifr slots per hour there are and don't care at all. We both can agree that is is a good thing you are not down there on the Fisk arrival with all those others bad eggs "gumming things up."
    I don't know about your flying, but you're great at quoting someone over and over.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-29-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Per The Old Farmers Almanac.....

April and May will be slightly warmer and rainier than normal. Summerwill be hotter and rainier than normal, with the hottest periods in late June, early to mid-July, mid- to late July, and mid-August. September and October will have above-normal temperatures and below-normal precipitation.

So it looks like it’s gonna be warmer and rainier than usual. Best of both worlds, oh fun.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun