Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your wishlist for Oshkosh 2020

Your wishlist for Oshkosh 2020

G'day everyone,

I'm making my fourth pilgrimage to Oshkosh, from Australia, and this year promises to be a big one. It's the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII plus the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. There are probably more significant anniversaries but I'm not a great student of history.

I have a number of WWII types on my bucket list that I'd love to see at this year's event and I'd like to hear some of yours, please. Here are mine:

1. P-47 Thunderbolt
    2. P-39 Aircobra
    3. P-63 Kingcobra
    4. Ju-52
    5. Me-262 Swallow
    6. Bf-109
    7. I-16 Rata
    8. Fw-190 Butcher Bird
    9. C-46 Commando
    10. I-153 Chaika

My wish list is a little ambitious, I know, but I live in hope that at least a few will make it. Not many sleeps to go until the big week.

Pretty impressive list George, I'll add a couple of those to my list also. The P-47, Bf-109 and the Fw-190 are a few I would like to check out. I've been up close and personal with some of my other favorites, of course the P-51 and F4U Corsair. I have had the pleasure of taking a ride in a B-17 back in '07 in Elko, Navada, the Ford Tri Motor at AirVenture in 2018 and a New Standard Biplane at Sun N Fun one year. As far as my main Bucket List this year, I want to actually fly into A/V.
    Bob

Hats off and a sincere "Good Onya Mate" to all those like yourself who make the journey to Oshkosh each year from such far-reaching points on the globe. It is no small feat. When conducting on the trams I do regularly mention my past rides on the Tri Motor as some of the best $$ I've spent at AirVenture. A true time machine and a chance to be an active participant in living aviation history.

I'm a fan of the B-25 and the C-47.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I tried to get my first ride on the Tri Motor in 2019, but didn't have any luck getting in. Hopefully 2020 will be the year!

1. A safe week
    2. A Break From Jet Noise
    3. Good cool weather
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.

Bill - A GREAT 'Top Three' list. And as to #2 - all that pricey performance noise at positively dangerous levels gets mighty weary, mighty quickly for me too. But thanks for the reminder - time to place an order with Amazon for some new Howard Leight headband earplugs. I wear them around my neck ready to deploy almost all the time I'm on the grounds.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    2. A Break From Jet Noise
    ....except for the Snowbirds! (said without a hint of bias, predisposition, prejudice or partiality):>)

The Snowbirds are actually pretty mild in the noise department if my aging memory serves? Not jets of course but the Shell team is a noise offender of the 1st order and that dang loose bowel meat stick biplane with the completely unnecessary jet engine gets a hate nod from me, right up there with that obnoxious Yak-110 needless noisemaker.

Maybe in truth I've just finally become my dream person? A grumpy curmudgeonly geezer? I always root for Scrooge to stay the same after the ghosts visit - LOL

Don't forget the Rhino Demo team will be there! At least there will be a little bit of noise! As many of you that don't love it there are of us that do!

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    Don't forget the Rhino Demo team will be there! At least there will be a little bit of noise! As many of you that don't love it there are of us that do!
    And that my friends is why that ice cream joint sells all them flavors, not everyone likes chocolate or vanilla. - lol It is also what keeps ear protection companies thriving. I DO dearly hope that AirVenture visitors with children or pets bring appropriate hearing protection for them at least. If one is within a block of the flight line it can be downright painful.