Thread: Chapter Website Recruiting Effectiveness?

Chapter Website Recruiting Effectiveness?

Does EAA (I'm thinking of the "Chapters" guys like Charlie Becker who are sponsoring migration of chapter websites to the new chapters.eaa.org site host) or individual chapters have any data indicating that chapter websites are effective recruiting tools? In other words, how many membership inquiries come from people visiting chapter websites?

Or are chapter websites not really a source of new members?

Before I invest a lot of time in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), which I barely know how to spell, I'd like to have more confidence that prospective (aerobatic pilots, we're an IAC chapter) use the web to find EAA chapters.

The alternative to improving a chapter website for recruiting is to optimize the chapter website for IAC and chapter members who want to find out about training, airplanes, contests, etc., i.e., internal use.

I'd like to improve traffic to our site regardless; right now, it isn't one of the first five returns on a Google search and isn't returned at all by other search engines, e.g., DuckDuckGo (which some people like to use to evade the maw of Google).

Thanks!

Sadly, any website that just exists out there on the internet, typically will not attract traffic on it's own without some external tools for exposure. The main thing about SEO is to have other websites, forums and any form of social media to have "back links" to your EAA website, then search engines will take notice and put the website in a higher ranking in the search results. It's like gossip. Spreading the word among others.

Examples:
    1. Create a YouTube channel with videos of your chapter activities, with links to your website in the comments area of each video posted.
    2. Create a Facebook page for your chapter, then from that Facebook page, create an associated Facebook group with the same name. (EAA Chapter XXXX)
    (a.) Post your activities from your website to the Facebook page and group, with backlinks to your chapter website. People LOVE groups! When someone joins your group, invite them to "Like" your page. When a visitor hits the "like" link on any of your Facebook page or Facebook group entries, you can click on the "likes" number and see a list of people who "liked" your posting and invite them to "like" your main "Facebook" page. Yes.... that's confusing, I know. There is a ton of information out there on Google on how all this works.
    3. Join as many Aviation related forums (like this one) as possible. Post your activities and events to these forums, along with a link back your website.
    4. Create a Pinterest page for your chapter. Post photos with backlinks to your website. People love airplane pictures.
    5. Create an Instagram page for your chapter. Post photos and short videos. Sadly, any backlink you post with your photo doesn't get translated into and actual link, but people will still see your website link name, and can copy and paste it into a new browser session.
    6. Create a Twitter page for your chapter. Twitter is kind of like a person who has a short term memory. Things are mentioned on twitter, but soon forgotten. However, it's great for quick news about your chapter, and yes. with a backlink to your chapter website.

In the movie "Field of Dreams", it states "If you build it, they will come". Not true if you build a website and hope people will "come" to see it. Social media is the tool for exposure.

Good luck!
    Last edited by FunInAviation; 02-13-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunInAviation View Post
    Sadly, any website that just exists out there on the internet, typically will not attract traffic on it's own without some external tools for exposure. The main thing about SEO is to have other websites, forums and any form of social media to have "back links" to your EAA website, then search engines will take notice and put the website in a higher ranking in the search results. It's like gossip. Spreading the word among others.

Examples:
    1. Create a YouTube channel with videos of your chapter activities, with links to your website in the comments area of each video posted.
    2. Create a Facebook page for your chapter, then from that Facebook page, create an associated Facebook group with the same name. (EAA Chapter XXXX)
    (a.) Post your activities from your website to the Facebook page and group, with backlinks to your chapter website. People LOVE groups! When someone joins your group, invite them to "Like" your page. When a visitor hits the "like" link on any of your Facebook page or Facebook group entries, you can click on the "likes" number and see a list of people who "liked" your posting and invite them to "like" your main "Facebook" page. Yes.... that's confusing, I know. There is a ton of information out there on Google on how all this works.
    3. Join as many Aviation related forums (like this one) as possible. Post your activities and events to these forums, along with a link back your website.
    4. Create a Pinterest page for your chapter. Post photos with backlinks to your website. People love airplane pictures.
    5. Create an Instagram page for your chapter. Post photos and short videos. Sadly, any backlink you post with your photo doesn't get translated into and actual link, but people will still see your website link name, and can copy and paste it into a new browser session.
    6. Create a Twitter page for your chapter. Twitter is kind of like a person who has a short term memory. Things are mentioned on twitter, but soon forgotten. However, it's great for quick news about your chapter, and yes. with a backlink to your chapter website.

In the movie "Field of Dreams", it states "If you build it, they will come". Not true if you build a website and hope people will "come" to see it. Social media is the tool for exposure.

Good luck!
    You're absolutely correct I've done everything you've recommended above months ago, except the InstaGram thingy (never thought about that one)... Thank You!
    Robert "Bob" Ferguson, EAA #1228198
    President/Flight Coordinator EAA 78
    EAA-The Spirit of Aviation
    Phone: 267.243.5198
    eaachapter78@gmail.com
    https://chapters.eaa.org/eaa78
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/eaachapter78/

You can always go from nice to mean.
    But you can NEVER go from mean to nice.
    BE KIND to ONE ANOTHER!

Social media is just ways to get found. From my past experience it’s all about chapter dynamics. Surprisingly enough if the chapter is active the word gets out but social media helps. Be diverse in your activities, don’t get a reputation for being monolithic. People come to the chapter with different expectations. If they don’t see that expectation met you’ve probably lost that person forever.

One thing i don’t see on the list is the Chapter Blast that Chapter Office can put out for your chapter.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun