Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: After aopa forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I don't have a cute alias, mostly cause it never occurred to me when I started on fourms, guess Im too simple that way.
    But if I was to try to think up one I don't think I could match "geosnooker", whatever that might mean. Mine might be Merlin addict.
    It's nothing sinister. geo are the first 3 letters of my name (George), snooker is my favorite billiard game of all time, and the year 2000 was the year I first started joining message boards. And I'm talking about the 12' long English snooker table, not the wimpy 10' American version.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Use the search tool and see the partial or complete (based on your search parameters) occurrence of the key word. Draw your own conclusions.

I couldn't find a thing and my own conclusion would be that the Merlin addict made up the story.

I don't have a cute alias, mostly cause it never occurred to me when I started on fourms, guess Im too simple that way.
    Sounds like we need a contest to come up with an alias for Bill.

Ron "I'M not going first" Wanttaja

My alias comes from the fact that the first site I used the name on specifically disinclined using real email addresses or names (spam issues).
    It wasn't aviation, so flyingron was a pretty distinctive. Most people who've been around long enough know who I am. I've never hid it. Ron Wanttaja and I referred to ourselves each as "The 'other' Ron" for years in the old USENET days.

We oddly had much in common: flying, singing sea shanties, etc... It was years before I actually ran into him at Oshkosh when I just happened to notice someone passing in the opposite direction with a Fly Baby shirt on.

My professional and online lives haven't had much opportunity to become tangled, so haven't had to use an alias. Having an unusual name, I've mostly gone with wanttaja or wanttajar or rwanttaja. wanttaja@ssc-vax was my first online address, with "ssc-vax" being owned by my employer. When that machine was shut down, I did use an alias for a bit... "prang@ssc-bee.boeing.com". :-)

By the time Eternal September happened, I had transitioned to a private server (wanttaja@halcyon.com). This was fortunate, as there were a number of people still on work and educational servers who ended up having complaints made about them by some of the new arrivals on USENET. This was hard to defend, in an era when most bosses and HR people didn't even know what the Internet was. I missed most of that, fortunately.

Ron Wanttaja

I gut a phone call from the CEO of our company who wanted to know who the hell Jim Campbell was. It wasn't too long after that, I got my own domain as well (ronnatalie.com).

Oddly, I still have the old corporate domain (sensor.com). When Textron bought us we hadn't used it in a while (we changed our name to Overwatch) but we were still using it as an alias. Textron was uninterested in paying for it and my name was already on it, so I just changed the mailing address to my house.

I don't have a cute alias,
    I would never use my real name on the internet. That's just nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I would never use my real name on the internet. That's just nuts.
    Well.....guess I'm just nuts.......
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 02-24-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

And yet it’s possible to have a so called “cute” alias and not be an anonymous keyboard warrior— it’s called a signature block.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Well.....guess I'm just nuts.......
    Usually, Sam is pretty good at picking up on humor... ;-)