Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After aopa forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Brian, thanks I tried to register on the Pilot Place and cant get it to go through. They said they sent me an email with directions to follow, but no email has come. On the site they say they welcome pilots, doesn't say you have to know about glass panel and all the new stuff. And it says there is only one rule, but it doesn't give what that rule is. Wish it had a contact phone number.
    Bill, try to login again. I reached out to the forum admin; he doesn't know why you didn't receive an email, but your account (with the username and password that you setup) should be fully available. Good luck.
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

I think "play nice" is a good rule, but can have different meanings to people. For me, just if I was running a forum, I would want to avoid personal insults. In other words, a serious even intense discussion is a good thing, but if you disagree with someone's premise or facts or mantra let it be about the facts. There is a topic on this EAA forum just a few days back where someone calls another "an idiot" because he is not aware of something about aviation. The one calling the names doesn't even know the other person, no way of knowing if he is smart or not. "Play nice" can also be a cover really for don't post anything that doesn't agree with what's already on the forum, no rocking the boat. Lots of people like that.
    We have a local conference Idea Fest, run by Walter Isacson, formerly of Time Inc, where they invite prominent people from all over the world and all walks of life, lots of businessmen, world leaders, sports figures, authors, and on and on. It covers all spectrum, one side to the other, the good , bad and some of the ugly. It is very well attended and exciting to hear. Each person accepts be nice in that they let the other speak , no interuptiions and it is a discussion to enlighten and maybe solve problems rather than just a debate to win a point or have your client win in court. I think it is great. It aint too hard to get folks to come to the mountains and stay at a lovely resort on the banks of the river!!
    Incidentally, Walter has a book about DaVinci where he picked him as the smartest person ever because he was so curious and wanted to know about everything.

Thanks, Brian Im on now posted a topic about the fly out we used to do to Lake Lawn. Looks like he site is broad and good
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-12-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Punctuation counts: Quotation marks mean something

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I think "play nice" is a good rule, but can have different meanings to people. For me, just if I was running a forum, I would want to avoid personal insults. In other words, a serious even intense discussion is a good thing, but if you disagree with someone's premise or facts or mantra let it be about the facts. There is a topic on this EAA forum just a few days back where someone calls another "an idiot" because he is not aware of something about aviation. The one calling the names doesn't even know the other person, no way of knowing if he is smart or not. "Play nice" can also be a cover really for don't post anything that doesn't agree with what's already on the forum, no rocking the boat. Lots of people like that.
    Bill, I've copied your quotes exactly as you wrote them. I'm not a lawyer. I'm not an English major, but when you bracket something in quotation marks it is supposed to imply that what you are quoting are exact words that someone else wrote.

In the first example above, "play nice" is not attributed to anyone and you are probably just using quotation marks improperly in this usage.
    I nearly failed English in school for good reason, but if I were to vaguely summarize a feeling or idea, such as that example, I would write it as; I think 'play nice' is a good rule...
    It's the lower half of the same key on the keyboard. ('example')
    I think it implies a general idea or feeling of the writer but not a direct quote.

The other example in that paragraph:
    "There is a topic on this EAA forum just a few days back where someone calls another "an idiot" because he is not aware of something about aviation. The one calling the names doesn't even know the other person, no way of knowing if he is smart or not."
    I've read every post going back for a couple weeks and do not find that anyone has called anyone "an idiot".
    I think you may be talking about me, but I have never said anything close to that.
    If you meant someone else, I must have missed that conversation and I apologize for the confusion.

Calling someone "an idiot," in any situation, is not any way to "play nice".
    To falsely accuse someone of that is definitely not nice. Especially, in a thread about forum moderation.
    So, could you please clarify and/or correct your statement as an effort to "play nice," on this forum?

Thanks in advance as I wanted to talk more about hang gliding in Colorado, and elsewhere, but this quotation snafu has gotten in the way.

Signed,
    Concerned Hang Glider Pilot

PS: Many years ago I nearly froze my toes off on a cross country ski jaunt down the creek from the old Jerome Hotel. Went down stream, of course, in the afternoon when it was above freezing and got our feet wet in leather bindings in the melting snow. Easy peasy for six miles then turned back up hill for six miles, as the sun went down... you can guess the rest.. thought we were gonna die... but didn't. Hot toddies at the Jerome. Survived.
    Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by JBlack View Post
    The other example in that paragraph:
    "There is a topic on this EAA forum just a few days back where someone calls another "an idiot" because he is not aware of something about aviation. The one calling the names doesn't even know the other person, no way of knowing if he is smart or not."
    I've read every post going back for a couple weeks and do not find that anyone has called anyone "an idiot".
    It's possible the moderators deleted the offending post.

It's also possible Bill is confused as to which Forum he saw the name calling. Other forums are a little more free, that way.

Keep in mind, too, that Bill has no objection to name-calling, as long as he's the one doing it.

"Thanks Vile Boatwrong, how could this forum exist without your close attention to my every post to make sure they are pure." - Bill Greenwood, 5/25/2017

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...ll=1#post62610

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 02-14-2020 at 06:07 PM.

I'm sorry JBlack, but your knowledge of English punctuation usage is incomplete. There are a few times when quotation marks are used other than literal quotations. One is when describing words as words. For example, the phrase "play nice" in this sentence is used to show that I'm talking about the words "play nice" rather than their meaning. The other use are the so-called "scare quotes." These are used when you're using a word or phrase in something other than it's literal meaning. I'm tending toward the this usage here. "Play nice" was used to suggest forum behavior, rather than that we were in some sort of well-mannered game.

Quote Originally Posted by JBlack View Post

Thanks in advance as I wanted to talk more about hang gliding in Colorado, and elsewhere, but this quotation snafu has gotten in the way.

Signed,
    Concerned Hang Glider Pilot
    JBlack,

Please don't take this personally....but I think your concerns about hang gliding would have a better chance of reaching a receptive audience in a forum other than this one. Hang gliders technically fall under Part 103, but from my experience with the EAA for nearly thirty years these minimal aircraft and the associated community have never been a point of emphasis in this organization.

Perhaps if you moved your concerns to the associations and forums that are populated with hang glider enthusiasts you could move more folks into your line of thinking. But I think you are really wasting your time pushing your agendae here with pilots who either have very little experience with hang gliders or no interest at all.

Most of us that populate this forum have personal airframes that prohibit us from ever seeing hang gliding as a viable means of committing aviation.....those little wings can only carry so much load......and our landing gear have exceeded the expiration date......

Best wishes with your cloud-free gliding pursuits!

(Wow...how's that for thread drift??)
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 02-15-2020 at 03:01 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

As far as the original question, looked once and never went back...
    Last edited by gbrasch; 02-16-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    JBlack,

Please don't take this personally....but I think your concerns about hang gliding would have a better chance of reaching a receptive audience in a forum other than this one.
    Sam, my concerns were about unsafe FAR violations.

Perhaps if you moved your concerns to the associations and forums that are populated with hang glider enthusiasts you could move more folks into your line of thinking.
    See above. My concerns are FAR related. If you were repeatedly violating FARs in your airplane and posting the videos on youtube bragging about it, I would likely voice my concerns about it.
    It really has nothing to do with hang gliding, per se.

But I think you are really wasting your time pushing your agendae here with pilots who either have very little experience with hang gliders or no interest at all.
    There is no "agendae". How do you know that pilots here have 'very little experience or no interest' at all?

Most of us that populate this forum have personal airframes that prohibit us from ever seeing hang gliding as a viable means of committing aviation.....those little wings can only carry so much load......and our landing gear have exceeded the expiration date......
    Being uninformed is your only limitation, Sam. Those little wings can carry a lot of weight and since the recent invention of wheels, you don't have to launch or land on your feet.
    Originally, my comments here were not about promoting hang gliding. It now seems you want to prevent me from something I wasn't doing in the first place.
    What really gives?

<sigh>......ok....I tried........
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log