Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Equipment Suggestions for Airplane Camping

The other reaction at Airventure is that the grounds are treated with some chemical that many (such as me) are sensitive to and it is photoactivated. I showed up at the medical center many years ago with this terrible rash and the doctor said "You've been sitting on the grass directly, haven't you." They apparently see a bunch of it.

My "bivy tent" was $22 at Walmart.com. Weighs 3 pounds. I pack it up each day so it won't blow away. Works as a bivy sack if poles are not used for whatever reason (paved ramp)
    84" long. I prefer a private tent and if a friend ever travels with me I will get him one also.

Flying Ron, had never heard of this occurring, so a couple of questions......

Where did you sit directly on the grass? North 40, Camp Scholler, Antique Area, Flight Line, etc
    Did they state it was a chemical reaction or from something else such as a vegetation?
    If chemical, did they tell you what it was?

If the county or EAA are treating the grounds sure would like to know what from an exposure stand point. I don’t don’t get a reaction when sitting on the grass but sure don’t like the black field ants.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Flightline area in Vintage primarily. No, he didn't say what it was, but I was given to believe it was something sprayed either during or after the field is "hayed" before the show. He did say it was photoactivated. I still have scars on one hand from it. I always use a chair now.

Know what you mean. Three summers ago I got tagged by some wild yellow parsnip while cleaning up some brush on my property just NW of KOSH. It too is photo activated and developed some really nasty blisters. Still have scars on my forearms.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun