Thread: Virus Outbreak and Airventure

Virus Outbreak and Airventure

This coronavirus is scary stuff, for most of us its on the other side of the world, but it has really spread, there doesn't seem to be any sure cure and its often fatal.

I was thinking of Oshkosh, and all the years I have been coming. We have 90,000 people on the field, from all over the world, and mostly primitive outdoor toilets, and mass quantities of food and drink being served, much of it from pretty basic food stands and booths, and as for as I can recall there has never been any kind of disease outbreak or even any food poisoning episode.
    Are we just lucky? Is the fact that we are in the summer a positive? You don't really hear about flu season except in the winter. My thanks to all the people who do the necessary but not glamour job of port potty cleaning.

Maybe we have better personal cleaning/grooming habits than masses of people in foreign countries. In so many cases the first and very effective form of "germ" defense is simply to really scrub your hands with soap and water before handling any food or after using the restroom. I think this virus is airborne, but many like flu are transmitted by touch.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-10-2020 at 09:49 AM.

This 2018 article about the CDC 'may' put things in perspective? Corona virus has sadly killed over 900 people, mostly in China, not that location lessens the suffering.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/...deaths-winter/
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I've heard that inhalation of 100LL and/or Jet A fumes plus the ingestion of ethyl alcohol goes a long way towards immunizing one against said virus. However, it's more probable that I've simply inhaled and ingested too much of both and am hallucinating at this point.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I caught a cold from the airline travel to Airventure in 2019. It wasn't a pleasant week. Then a second cold after the flight home.
    Didnt get a flight reservation for this year. It's getting to be too far to travel as I get older.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    This coronavirus is scary stuff, for most of us its on the other side of the world, but it has really spread, there doesn't seem to be any sure cure. I think this virus is airborne, but many like flu are transmitted by touch.
    Common medical wisdom says the virus is not airborne. The touch part is correct so make sure you're washing your hands like you're OCD.

And one more thing: Don't, I repeat don't eat the Bat soup or the deep fried Pangolins from any Osh food vendor.

Looking up its spread, I find most often "by coughing or sneezing", but can also be spread by contact, touching as for several references on internet. I don't think they would be emphasizing wearing masks so much if it was not airborne, maybe gloves.