Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will tie downs be available to buy/rent in the North 40?

Will tie downs be available to buy/rent in the North 40?

I'll be flying in for Airventure this year for the first time (drove in a few times in the 80s-90s). Wondering if tie downs will be available to rent after I arrive as they were in the past, and how much will they cost? Is buying or renting a set of tie downs when I arrive a better solution than spending $90-100 on a set before I arrive?

EAA Chapter 444 (Waupaca WI) sells tie downs in the North 40 area. Support a chapter and buy your tie downs thru them. Thanks.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

How much do they cost?

My advice is to buy or make a set before you depart. What are you going to do if you have to divert? There won’t be a handy EAA chapter renting/selling them at the divert field.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 02-08-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

The chapter sells a set for $60, hours to take home. That includes three stakes and straps. If you buy the rope type it’s $30 for the set with a $10 buy back.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Traditionally, they sell you a set and will buy them back at the end minus a nuisance fee (like $5).

But the answer is it is poor planning to not have your own. The NOTAM and the guidance of the EAA is clear. GET YOUR OWN TIEDOWNS, BRING, AND USE THEM.

They are readily available. For years I used swingset augers that I bought from Home Despot. These work adequately. I use the StormForce ones now.

It would be awesome if EAA chapter 444 would sell them online and ship them in advance. Bet they'd make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gleason View Post
    It would be awesome if EAA chapter 444 would sell them online and ship them in advance. Bet they'd make a killing.
    With Amazon selling at least two versions and most manufacturers having an online store? Probably not as much as one might think. Considering the very real possibility of getting diverted to a different airport, having your own tie downs on-board is a wise choice IMHO.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm with you Randy, l'm a firm believer in the Boy Scout motto; "Be Prepared"
    Bob

I was thinking more of good old Mr Murphy and his prophetic law - lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln