Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A question about assessing a ramp queen for purchase (disassembly of the wings...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The Equipment List is issued by Piper with the original Weight and Balance form and should be transferred with the aircraft papers. http://twisted-wrench.com/files/W_an...pment_List.pdf
    I suspect this airplane's log books will not be coming with the plane, whoever buys it, IF anyone buys it. Because, the plane will be a "foreclosure" of sorts, taken by the airport for years and years of ramp fees not paid. The owner of the aircraft is (as far as I can determine) Barron Thomas LLC, who won't answer the phone, won't return phone calls, and won't return emails. If you know the story behind him, you can probably guess why. I wish he would, I would love to get as much info on the plane as I could get.
    Last edited by geosnooker2000; 02-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.

Sorry Bill, Someone is confusing the Equipment List for W& B purposes vs the Minimum Equipment List that describes minimum equipment functionality required for flight. MELs are required for turbine powered aircraft and Part 125 and 135 operations.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

As a jumping off point/issue (although I have already asked for opinions about the avionics), this plane has no spinner. I went and googled "piper 140 used spinner for sale". The cheapest I came up with was $495 from Texas Salvage, and it has TWO messed up screw holes??? I thought surely one could come by a spinner for a reasonable price out there. Am I looking in the wrong places?

As an non-plane owner but a lifetime (71 yrs and counting) aviation enthusiast, the four words I don't recall seeing together very often are "aviation parts" and "reasonable price". -lol
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Here is the panel. Since I am a newbie, I don't recognize some of that stuff. Like, what is that thing above the transponder that says "comm" and "omni"? IS that a piece of equipment for IFR? I've looked at a lot of Piper 140s for sale online, and I've never seen anything like that.
    Name:  20200211_142253.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  98.9 KB

The thing that is marked COMM and OMNI is an ancient NAV COMM with a built-in indicator. COMM for communications receiver and OMNI was another name for VOR (remember VOR stands for VHF Omnidirectional Range). Alas, that radio is garbage. First, it is almost certainly illegal to transmit with under the current rules. There's a separate VOR head there so I suspect there's a second NAV radio of some vintage obscured by the control yoke. The bottom unit is an old Mode A/C transponder. Of course, given the age of the other radios, it may lack a mode C encoder. None of this archaic junk has any retail value and probably isn't even worth repairing if you wanted to keep it.

I'm not sure what the stuff with the falling off trim just above the quadrant is. The rest of the panel is ugly but doesn't look too bad.

Unlike the $1000 Cherokee you referenced, this one looks rough. Looks like someone started ripping it apart and there's probably good reason as there's visible corrosion (and more likely that's not visible). A lot of the viability will come down to what shape the engine is. Just throwing a bunch of mouse milk at it may not bring it back to life.

That is a very very old Nav/Com radio unit, obsolete. It will need replaced as well as (probably) the nav head.

It appears to be an old King KX-150 comm nav radio. It’s a man cave museum piece. To the left there is an VOR OBS head and an ADF head but the radios have been removed. You need to hook up with some airplane knowledgeable people and take a REALISTIC look at this airplane. Based on your own newbie comment I would STRONGLY recommend that you walk away!

I know that the low entry cost is tempting but you’re probably gonna have to strip this airplane completely down and no telling what you may find but it ain’t gonna be cheap and you might find the airframe is just not cost effective to rebuild. Then what???
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    That's because the cost and hassle of General Aviation has exceeded the value.
    That just about sums it all up.
    It's mostly beyond reach for most pilot wannabees.

"
    I would STRONGLY recommend that you walk away! "

More like run away or jump into a fast car and drive away. lol

"Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln