Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A question about assessing a ramp queen for purchase (disassembly of the wings...)

There is one (a PA-28) in a hangar at my airport I have considered purchasing. My thought is that if I can get it for around $5000, and the wings are good. I can buy it, sell the wings and engine core, scrap the rest and park my Yankee in a hangar.

I know I won't be getting a hangar any other way.
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I don't disagree with you, but.... I think the OP's estimate of $6,000 to get a $1,000 airplane flying is WAY optimistic. In all likelihood, after the airplane is restored, just the first annual inspection will probably run about half that.
    Totally agree - but the $6000 wasn't just an estimate pulled out of thin air, it's based on a very specific and lucky anecdote: http://www.thisoldcherokee.com/

YMMV, but we can all dream...
    Brian K. Schermerhorn

Everyone needs a hobby and hobbies only need to be enjoyable. Once you put a price on it, it no longer becomes a hobby or passion, as so many of us describe ourselves. Remember money doesn't spend itself.

Slightly off the subject but I'm always amazed at folks who will buy a fine piece of machinery (airplane) and then tie it down outside and let the weather and sun beat it to death. Often they apparently lose interest in the subject and it sits on the ramp or in the weeds for years and never touched. I can think of several right now. My father in law who was a good farmer never left his machinery outside. Once it was done for the season it was cleaned up and put away under shelter. I was just looking at a Cessna 150 yesterday that I don't believe has been moved for 10 years.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Your father-in-law likely had a lot of land on which to build his own hangar. For the majority of people, we are relegated to storing a plane at the airstrip, where we can either pay $75/month for a tiedown space, or $350/month for hangar space. And looking around, that seems to be a minimum around the Memphis metro area. I mean... that's a freaking car payment. If I could build my own hangar, I bet the monthlies on that would be a lot closer to the former than the latter.

Assuming I get this plane (the guy a spoke with at the airport suggested it might be for a $1), the panel is probably useless. Let's assume I needed to replace every piece of avionics in there. Or basically start from scratch. I-pad panel mount system, old used steam gauges, etc. What do I need? I mean, from the FAR point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by geosnooker2000 View Post
    Assuming I get this plane (the guy a spoke with at the airport suggested it might be for a $1), the panel is probably useless. Let's assume I needed to replace every piece of avionics in there. Or basically start from scratch. I-pad panel mount system, old used steam gauges, etc. What do I need? I mean, from the FAR point of view.
    For a certified aircraft the minimum equipment list on the type certificate outlines what the aircraft needs to be airworthy.

So that would be Part 91. There is no MEL for a PA28-140.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by geosnooker2000 View Post
    14CFR 91.205 would give you the minimum list of instruments required for VFR and IFR, day and night. In MY opinion, if you're facing replacement of ALL the gauges, you might as well look into an EFIS.

Basic Comm radio, such as the Icom ICA220. Transponder, encoder, and ADS-B, depending on where you plan to fly.

Resurrecting the engine is likely to cost as least as much as the panel, depending on how long it's been sitting, how it was prepared, and the environment it sat in.

Ron Wanttaja

The Equipment List is issued by Piper with the original Weight and Balance form and should be transferred with the aircraft papers. http://twisted-wrench.com/files/W_an...pment_List.pdf