Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: A question about assessing a ramp queen for purchase (disassembly of the wings...)

There are rea$$ons why this poor Cherokee is abandoned......
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

The reality is that the cost of the parts required to put that airplane back in the air greatly exceeds the market price of a flying example in decent shape. Do not walk away. RUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    There are rea$$ons why this poor Cherokee is abandoned......
    If you have read the thread, especially the previous page, you would know that the most likely reason is the LLC that owns it. Some sort of aircraft ponzi scheme.

I knew this thread would turn out this way. Everybody is so quick to trash equipment and "things" that look like too much work to them. This could turn out to be a labor of love for me. If I put in the time, money, and attention to this bird, it could turn out to be the greatest thing (not person, but THING) ever in my life, ever. I have the same philosophy about my cars and trucks. It may cost me a whole lot more than YOU would be willing to spend on something that isn't financially worth it, but if I restore it to my specs, I will know what I have in it. I will know everything about it. Every inch of it. The alternative is to buy a $30,000 Trade-A-Plane that is 100 hours from needing a $18,000 overhaul. Plus whatever else maintenance-wise was deferred "to the next annual".
    You may all very well be right. IDK. I want to get an IA or an A&P to give it a glance before I cull it from the possibility bin.

Quote Originally Posted by geosnooker2000 View Post
    ...The alternative is to buy a $30,000 Trade-A-Plane that is 100 hours from needing a $18,000 overhaul. Plus whatever else maintenance-wise was deferred "to the next annual".
    Problem is, that ramp queen is almost guaranteed to need an engine rebuild right now. And all new radios/intercom/transponder which which will start at $10k. Plus replacing half the instruments which don't work, the tires, tubes, brakes, brake cylinders, brake calipers, dealing with AD's, rebuilding struts, a moldy interior, bad glass, etc.

If you wanna buy it, do so, but numbers say this airplane is not an economically viable rebuild.

If you have read the thread, especially the previous page, you would know that the most likely reason is the LLC that owns it. Some sort of aircraft ponzi scheme.
    I have read the thread (been reading it since it was started) and the photo of the interior speaks volumes to those of us who have been in aviation for multiple decades. A ponzi scheme may very well be in play, but that doesn't change the economics of returning this poor aircraft to service.

However.....I wish you the best in your pursuit of your next project...whether it is this one or something yet to be found. I too have put more $$$$'s into various projects than good judgment would dictate so I understand your thinking. But sometimes it is best to resist mental target fixation and move on to something more feasible.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 02-21-2020 at 07:38 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

"I knew this thread would turn out this way."

Well, then at least the members here WITH the appropriate knowledge on the subject didn't disappoint. So that's an encouraging plus. In my decrepit mind there is NO doubt whatsoever that IF you have unlimited funds, and are willing to gladly spend many multiples of a thing's realistic value, then ANY machine -in ANY condition - can be brought back to 'as new' condition.

I believe the members here have been pointing towards that reality without chastising or mocking a newcomer to the forum's project. But I suspect that if the spinner cost was harsh to you, you 'might' not actually have the unlimited funds this restoration could cost?
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 02-21-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Personal opinion not to knock anyones dreams but the PA 28/140 project looks like it would probably be more than anyone would care to tackle. Having said that: I have rebuilt and recovered several tube and fabric aircraft that I know (and have found out) I would never get my money back from. However, I have the pleasure of resurrecting a fine piece of machinery that has been rotting away in someone's shed or old dark hangar. Since I don't drink, play golf or run around with wild women it's my hobby just like some folks have other hobbies and really you can't put a price on that. I have found that once the cover is off a lot of gremlin$ appear.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

A derelict is much easier to restore than a crash. I have done both and both have all the parts. I don't like to mess with one missing parts, however.
    Of course, I grew up in Alaska where everyone rebuilds 70 year old airplanes at home. And they don't have expensive hangars either.

Airmutt’s Theorem of Aviation #1.
    Any endeavor into aviation requires four elements: Time, Money, Skill, and Motivation. None of these elements are constant and are functions of the individual, the situation and time. A deficiency in one element can be overcome by the other three. A deficiency in two of these elements defines failure.

Be sure to read Thompson Chapter 12 for the next class and the mid-term will be next Friday.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I thought surely one could come by a spinner for a reasonable price out there. Am I looking in the wrong places?
    That is reasonable. That's why it will take $30k to put the plane in flying condition, assuming you can get legal possession and assuming the plane can be legally registered. If it's being seized by a gov. organization it will be auctioned to the highest bidder, so you have to be the high bidder before you can throw buckets of money at it.