Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ain't New Technogy Great, No It Ain't

Having many hours at altitude while navigating my 727 from here to there with a high altitude chart, I still like the feel and looks of a WAC chart in my lap while flying the RV4. I did install an Apollo GPS in '91 since the sectional folding and unfolding was unwieldy in such a fast plane so I switched to WAC's, some of which I still have with my course lines in black. Much later I sprang for the Garmin Aera 500 which was a considerable improvement plus I could move it from RV to Pitts to Laser when the need arose but I still have my now well taped WAC charts.

When I stop at the FBO's along the way due to my two hour bladder I always check for paper in the john before sitting down. It makes me confident of the outcome.

Many cheers

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    If you can run a smart-phone, you're smart enough to learn to run a glass-cockpit.

Best of luck,

Wes
    If only that were true! The learning curve to competently and confidently operate an original Garmin G1000 is a hundred times greater than operating an Apple iPhone. The latter is far more intuitive than the former.

The G1000 user guide and operating manual is 3 inches thick. The Apple phone handbook doesn't really exist, you have to go to a website for info so I can't easily measure that.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    The learning curve to competently and confidently operate an original Garmin G1000 is a hundred times greater than operating an Apple iPhone. The latter is far more intuitive than the former.
    100% agree. And once gained, G1000 competency is a fast deteriorating skill!
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I haven't had much exposure to glass cockpit stuff. Im signed off in a Diamond, but really I just flew the plane didn't know what some of that hocus pocus was. I did use an early Garmin GPS, 250xl I think, to fly solo across Canada, and I was beginning to get the hang of it.
    I wish someone who had a plane with that stuff would sit down and teach me how it works, but my limited time mostly was with them punching things and little or no teaching.

I was at the AOPA fly in at Santa Fe this summer and talking to the really nice guy at the Garmin booth. One thing he said was don't go jump in a new plane with a G1000 and set off into real imc weather and think it s a cinch. He said it may take 6 weeks to get pretty much competent.

By the way, I have an Apple 8 and don't understand much of it either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    100% agree. And once gained, G1000 competency is a fast deteriorating skill!
    Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot that part. Too many sequences, too many functions, too many places on the panels to know what you want when you want them and oh ya, you gotta fly the airplane at the same time. Like an IFR rating, you've got to keep current with this stuff. And it's too easy to forget to look outside to see and be seen.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 02-04-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    And in any open cockpit aircraft, keeping paper charts under control is an activity not missed.
    Four words on how I handle it: "The One-Cheek Sneak."

Ron "Works on the ground, too" Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up, I forgot that part. Too many sequences, too many functions, too many places on the panels to know what you want when you want them and oh ya, you gotta fly the airplane at the same time. Like an IFR rating, you've got to keep current with this stuff. And it's too easy to forget to look outside to see and be seen.
    I think many of the companies don't understand how necessary it is for a separate user interface test group. After you've been working six months to develop a new device, what you understand as a "simple, logical, flow" for the user interface is tainted by your in-depth knowledge.

Apple and the Android folks know that half their customers are going to be of below-average intelligence, and seem to work to simplify things as much as possible. I wonder if the avionics manufacturers are taking too much for granted.

A while back, we built a run of satellites and put some into cold storage. It was assumed that, at some point in the future, the government would want to launch a replacement. It was ALSO assumed that all the experienced people would be on other programs or retired when that happened.

I wrote the "wake up" procedures to what I thought was the "lowest level of understanding." Then we brought in another engineer with zero experience on the program, gave him the procedures, and told him to go ahead. Ended up doing a lot of revisions on that manual....

Ron "The eight-pin plug goes into the EIGHT-pin jack" Wanttaja

The Garmin 1000 suite does a lot of great stuff and is real value added for the Civil Air Patrol 182s and 206s. Our 172s, however, I think should be kept round dial as a training platform. Teach the cadets how to fly first, and then to manage on board computer systems.

A couple of years ago, I was undergoing my annual re-evaluation as a CAP check pilot. After completing the ride, the evaluator asked why I never used the reversion mode (showing the primary flight display on the screen closer to me.) I pointed at the back up round dials and said, "What makes you think I ever looked at the PFD at all?"
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com