Thread: Where can the Misc 51% parts come from?

Where can the Misc 51% parts come from?

In a recent chapter meeting a subject came up about using parts from scrapped or parted out Certified airplanes, and a "new" rule that you could not do so. I thought for a minute and thinking logically I said how would anyone ever build a Breezy? don't they typically use wings from parted out planes. Answer: they have to scratch build them now. Hmmm, not buying it but being a brand new member and not wanting to just say B.S. I said well where is the line drawn? can I use a formerly certified Lycoming? or a slick mag? or must all new homebuilts be kit aircraft with Rotax's or VW conversions ect. Answer: well it depends on the DAR. ????? I' read the AC 20-27g and it seems pretty clear on using certified parts,what say you EAA forum?
    Last edited by Racegunz; 12-08-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added info

The same question just came up about a week ago over on Homebuiltairplanes.com:

I thought the FAA put the kibosh on using major components from certified aircraft for EAB projects?

That's the rumor. But incorrect.

They have a nice new work sheet to figure out the 51%. While you can use parts from certified planes, same as pro built parts for home-built, you don't get any credit for them towards the 51%. Even if you completely strip the production parts down to their individual parts and do considerable repair yu still get zero credit. The FAA's formula seems to be heavily weighted around the empenage. Building tail feathers give one lots of Experimental credits.

I'm using gear off a Cessna.

The FAA's formula seems to be heavily weighted around the empenage. Building tail feathers give one lots of Experimental credits.
    What if your project doesn't have a tail??

I figure between welding the fuselage & gluing ribs together I've got it covered.

Racegunz,
    I agree with you. AC 20-27G and Order 8130-2F clearly state the use of salvaged assemblies from type-certified aircraft is permissable. For those interested here's the exact wording out of 20-27G:
    d. Use of Salvaged Assemblies from Type-Certificated Aircraft.
    The use of used or salvaged assemblies (for example, landing gear, horizontal stabilizer, and engine mount) from type-certificated aircraft is permitted, as long as they are in a condition for safe operation. However—
    (1) You should contact your local FAA MIDO or FSDO prior to using a major assembly or subassembly, such as wings, fuselage, or tail assembly from a type-certificated aircraft. As an amateur builder, you should be aware that when building your aircraft, the excessive use of major assemblies or subassemblies from type-certificated aircraft would most likely render it ineligible for certification under § 21.191(g).

(2)
    You will not receive credit for work done on, or the use of, salvaged major assemblies or subassemblies when determining whether your amateur-built aircraft has met the major portion requirement. This would include any "rebuilding" or "alteration" activities to return these components to an airworthy condition.

(3) All fabrication, installation, and assembly tasks on the Amateur-Built Aircraft Fabrication and Assembly Checklist (2009) that you’ve completed by the use of used or salvaged assemblies can only be annotated in the "Mfr Kit/Part/Component" column.
    Note: The definition of fabrication is to perform work on any material, part, or component, such as layout, bending, countersinking, straightening, cutting, sewing, gluing/bonding, layup, forming, shaping, trimming, drilling, deburring, machining, applying protective coatings, surface preparation and priming, riveting, welding, or heat treating, and transforming the material, part, or component toward or into its finished state.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

And when you fill out your 8050-88, check the miscellaneous parts box for EAB.

More than 50% of the above-described aircraft was built from miscellaneous parts and I am the owner. (This option is for aircraft
    eligible for amateur-built certification.)
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

I got a response from the only DAR I know (not that well) and he verified what I thought I had read, and further re-enforced the responses here. The worksheet is AC-20-27G Appendix 8 pretty neat checklist. Mis-information seems to be rampant within the aviation community, and not just with experimentals either. Thanks for the replys, hopefully sometime next summer I can tell you all how the inspection went.