Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
I am not a lawyer, my Son is, but I have studied relative law some. I would be glad to wager $50, that the helicopter company, will if sued pay a big settlement out of court, or lose any lawsuit that actually goes to trial.

I have a ground warning radar in my Bonanza and it is a safety item for ifr approaches and it doesn't distract or make me crash.
I'm not a lawyer either but my son and daughter are both lawyers although neither one of them does litigation or torts. They say the helicopter co. is small potatoes comparatively for a civil suit and will probably declare bankruptcy in due time to avoid possible payouts. They also believe that the real huge money for a civil suit is against Mrs Bryant and/or the estate of Kobe Bryant and you can bet a lot more than $50 that once the loved ones are buried and the crying and grief have subsided, the families of the dead including the pilot will be launching suits against them. You can also bet that they have already been contacted by lawyers. It usually takes 6-12 months to put forth notices of suits to be filed.

Given the details we know so far, it's doubtful or certainly unclear whether a TAWS would have prevented this crash.