Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old things appreciate in vaule

I bought my Aeronca Sedan in 1988 for $10000. At that time I was driving 70's vintage cars. Aeronca Sedans have increased in value 2 1/2 to 3 times in value since then. The 70's cars have increased in value more, some of them much more.

It seems that one thing you don't see is an old plane that is more valuable than an equivalent new one.

I think the problem with any old what ever is. There is only a very small hand full of the younger generations that are into or interested in the old stuff. Most of what us older ones think is very valuable, I see the day coming when it is just considered junk.
    Yes sad but true. What would really be bad is when they in the future decide to scrap old planes, cars and such in museums. The way things are going I don't think that is too far fetched.

Quote Originally Posted by enginesrus View Post
    I think the problem with any old what ever is. There is only a very small hand full of the younger generations that are into or interested in the old stuff. Most of what us older ones think is very valuable, I see the day coming when it is just considered junk.
    Yes sad but true. What would really be bad is when they in the future decide to scrap old planes, cars and such in museums. The way things are going I don't think that is too far fetched.
    We all want the toy we couldn't afford when we were 20 or 25. My Father, born in '34, really wanted a '57 Thunderbird. It was the cool car when he was a young man, so when he was in a position to buy one many years later, he did. Funny thing though. The market for those cars is going down, not up. Why? There are fewer and fewer 80 year olds around who covet them. The current "hot" cars are the early 911's. And in 10 years, the guys who lusted after them in 1970 (?) and bought one in 2010 will be aging out and will be selling them for a fraction of what they bring today. That's the cycle...

Kyle, coincidence on the '57 Ford Thunderbird. Someone ran one off in the ditch near where we lived on a big corner on Memorial Dr in Houston and my Brother and a friend brought the car to our house, seemed to be unharmed. I do recall that one was supercharged, not turbo and had a good kick on acceleration. I really liked the looks of the original small one, later they had the big ugly 4 seat version that was a whale. I don't recall details but we had to give the car back. I loved that curve, a guy also ran his Triumph 650 motorcycle off and again it was brought to our house, he was injured. I really didn't want to give that back!. Years later I was at the Navy Test Pilot station at Pax River, Md and got to drive a guys 57 Tbird there, found it didn't really live up to Porsche handling. Still a nice looking car.

And I don't think anyone is selling any hot rare car for a fraction of what it was worth, but you can always dream. The rarest Ferrari, a genuine F1 that had been driven by big name racers sold last year for $44 million. There are enough people with that kind of money to support it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-27-2020 at 10:54 PM.