Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help From The EAA to Save FAR Part 103

You do realize that the group of people who read this thread will be the same group of people who read the other thread you started. Personally, I didn't think that was "hijacked" at all. That is, unless by "hikjacked" you mean it had responses other than what you hoped for. If you are looking for people to get up in arms and demand FAA action against a pilot based on a video, you are probably on the wrong forum. Some of us may say something was stupid and probably dangerous and an equal number of us will reserve judgement or point out mitigating circumstances. I don't think anyone here is going to call the Feds over something posted in a forum.

But if you want to call the feds and demand action against someone who is already dead and another person who may or may not have been an accomplice, go ahead. Just don't expect the people on this forum to encourage you or participate. But I could be wrong, you may convince one or two.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBlack View Post
    So if your neighbor and his friend show up one day and they say, hey, we've been sneaking into your children's rooms at night and stealing things from your home, what would your response be?
    Let it go, because they are probably just going to do what they want, regardless?
    Wait, your other neighbor says. There is video. They broke in 18 times and it is all recorded!
    They are bragging about it on youtube to all their fans! You aren't going to do anything about it, because....
    What was it you said earlier about hijacking threads???? You've jumped from cowboy hang glider pilots to terrorizing children......

P.S. I have built and flown two Part 103 aircraft.....responsibly. I like Part 103, and as long as we don't try to push the FAA into enforcing outlier incidents 103 should be with us for a long time.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 01-24-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    If you are looking for people to get up in arms and demand FAA action against a pilot based on a video, you are probably on the wrong forum.
    The first question I asked was, is this a legal act or an illegal act?
    Would you like to correct your previous answer?

Some of us may say something was stupid and probably dangerous
    Most of these should also be able to admit that it was illegal. 103.23

and an equal number of us will reserve judgement or point out mitigating circumstances.
    The biggest mitigating circumstance to point out is that the crime was committed a minimum of 18 times.

But if you want to call the feds and demand action against someone who is already dead and another person who may or may not have been an accomplice, go ahead.
    How about just a letter to the USHPA Safety Committee, to put them on notice to clean up their act and comply with Part 103?
    Also the Sylmar Hang Gliding Association, the local club that controls the launch areas where this occurred, a minimum of 18 times.
    Realize that the youtuber that posted the video still has not accepted responsibility for any wrongdoing.

As far as we know, it is still going on.

I am watching a bit of the Farmers Insurance tournament and you can see a hang glider flying just off the cliffs at the background at La Jolla, a pretty place.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-25-2020 at 07:37 AM.

An 'interesting' exchange to be sure.

I am not 100% clear about what the new poster JBlack expects the FAA to do to the remaining living pilot for what 'might' be transgressions of the FARs that 'may' be documented in videos 4-8 years old.

Even less clear is what he expects me (us) to do? I did read all 5 pages of posts from the OP's initial post a few days ago and the reasoned responses it garnered. I did not read what actions the OP has already taken on this issue which obviously is causing them some personal distress. I am aware that many times the actions of those engaged in relatively 'self-regulated' hobby pursuits are adjudicated more by Messrs. Darwin and Murphy than by the public at large.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

He should go watch the Jerry Wagner videos if he really wants to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    An 'interesting' exchange to be sure.
    Thank you.

I am not 100% clear about what the new poster JBlack expects the FAA to do to the remaining living pilot for what 'might' be transgressions of the FARs that 'may' be documented in videos 4-8 years old.
    I am not 100% clear of what you mean by 'might be transgressions' or 'may be documented'. I believe those questions are self evident. As far as what the FAA will do is up to them.

Even less clear is what he expects me (us) to do?
    I would like you to form an opinion and voice that opinion. Judge whether unsafe cloud clearances were maintained in repeated infractions of FAR 103.23, or not.
    It's a yes or no question.

I am aware that many times the actions of those engaged in relatively 'self-regulated' hobby pursuits are adjudicated more by Messrs. Darwin and Murphy than by the public at large.
    The FAA is the regulating authority of all aeronautical endeavors in the USA. They entrust organizations such as the USHGA, USHPA, EAA and others to organize, educate and supervise members of those organizations in compliance with the rules and authority designated to the FAA by the Government of the USA.

We are the Government. We are the ones we have been waiting for.
    We have delegated ourselves the ability to self regulate to great extent, within compliance of Rules and Regulations, set forth by the authority designated to the FAA.
    We have all been delegated a personal responsibility in the matter of aeronautical endeavor. That is a fact.
    We can either use it responsibly, or lose it irresponsibly.

Accountability. Everyone owes it. Everyone deserves it.

Was the flying depicted in the video safe or unsafe? Legal or illegal?
    Answer those questions and we can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    He should go watch the Jerry Wagner videos if he really wants to have fun.
    I looked up Jerry Wagner and saw that he does a lot of IFR flying. Are you implying that he is doing it in violation of FARs?
    Wonder what he thinks about illegal cloud flying of the rebel cowboy variety?

"
    Thank you."

No need to thank me for using the least controversial word that came to mind - lol - 'interesting' does not IMHO convey a pro or con position on a subject about which I have no personal vested interest. I do not have sufficient information on these past events to give a yes or no answer.

FWIW I suppose Rap and Hip-Hop are 'interesting' forms of what some would call 'music'? I find abstract art interesting too.

Since YOU are the one whingeing about the alleged infractions from years ago, YOU need to run with the ball and initiate action. What have you done locally interacting with the remaining participant in question out there to avoid duplicating any attempts now..... beyond complaining online to us of course? Those here with FAR knowledge have already provided you with their input.

Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 01-25-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by JBlack View Post
    I looked up Jerry Wagner and saw that he does a lot of IFR flying. Are you implying that he is doing it in violation of FARs?
    Wonder what he thinks about illegal cloud flying of the rebel cowboy variety?
    No, he just proudly displays his poor piloting technique on youtube. Everything from stuff which is just stupid to showing a near complete loss of control on approach and flying a route contrary to his clearance because he's too thick to understand departure procedures. He doesn't even realize he's done wrong in the video until the minions of people who follow on start nit picking on the comments section of his posts.