Thread: Waiex flying near North Texas

Waiex flying near North Texas

I'm seriously considering building a Waiex. Does anyone know of a flying example near North Texas that I can get a ride?
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Hi, Mel;

I built a Sonex, flew it from 2012-2015, then sold it. Just too small for my wife to fly with me (we're not FAA std meatsacks). We both fit, but it's a TIGHT fit. The B models have widened the footwell area, but the shoulder width remains the same. The factory has maintained from day 1 that you really can't tell any diff flying a straight tail vs Y tail version. Friends (not around here) who've built have confirmed that assertion. Story has it that they built the Y tail only cuz John Monnett is adamant that he's never seen a bird with a vertical tail!

I loved flying it; a LOT of fun, but my real mission is flying with my wife.

The factory recommended gross weight is 1100 lbs for the AeroVee equipped birds. As you VERY well know, the builder sets the final GW during flight test activities. EVERY builder I know who's not 5'8" or less has raised the GW in order to take passengers. Mine was set to 1170 lbs. I still met stall speed requirements at that weight. With two souls on board, I could not carry full fuel (17 gals). It's just tight in the cockpit. Not knocking it. Most builders who didn't care about pax would sit in the middle (with the single stick configuration), with one foot on each outer rudder pedal.

Sadly, I do not personally know any local Waiex builders. The Sonex builder database says there's only one completed in a 100 mi radius of Keller TX, and that's in Gainsville. sonexaircraft.com, then go to the "builder network" in the top menu bar. There's a builder database tab under that.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I'm quite familiar with the "V" tail. I built a Moni back in the mid 80s. (See Sport Aviation, May 1986) Ann & I are both small (Well in width and height anyway.)
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

The Sonex web page has a builder search so you can find builders in your area:

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/sonex-builder-database/
    Cheers!

Joe