Thread: Help From The EAA to Save FAR Part 103

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help From The EAA to Save FAR Part 103

Please watch this video of cloud flying with the sound off and comment here if you see a violation of FAR Part 103.23, ... or not.
    I would like to get a few pilots that understand, as I do, that this cloud flying on the fringe of LAX airport is a danger to pilots, passengers and people that live in the Los Angeles area
    and is a danger to our privilege to fly under the rules and regulations of FAR Part 103.

Please turn the sound off on the video and be cognizant of the fact that 2 hang glider pilots made this video, edited from a minimum of nine different flights.
    Thus, a minimum of 18 infractions.
    Tell us what you think.
    Signed, Concerned hang glider pilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zVI26Vm_uY

How is this thread likely to be any different than the last one you started on this subject? http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...9592#post79592

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    How is this thread likely to be any different than the last one you started on this subject? http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...9592#post79592
    I would hope that it will not be hijacked. by extraneous subjects such as happened on the other thread. Should have spelled that out more clearly?
    Also, this thread is more specific. It asks for a specific action.
    Last edited by JBlack; 01-21-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBlack View Post
    I would hope that it will not be hijacked. by extraneous subjects such as happened on the other thread. Should have spelled that out more clearly?
    Also, this thread is more specific. It asks for a specific action.
    What is the specific action you wish to see occur?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    What is the specific action you wish to see occur?
    Thank you for asking for clarification.
    Because of a history of USHPA oversight in not responding to pilot's concerns regarding illegal and unsafe practices, and because these repeated cloud flying infractions put people, property and Part 103 at serious risk, I am asking for a quorum of pilots to come together to force action against this dangerous practice.

Part of this would entail an educational aspect for all pilots to benefit in knowledge and purpose of cloud separation FARs.

These rules are constructed for a purpose and it seems a lot of people don't understand their importance to the safety of everyone.
    The video invokes an unreal dream state consciousness that belies a true danger that can not be calculated or justified in order to get a youtube following of uninformed people.

This is why I asked that the video be watched without the mesmerizing musical accompaniment. Do not be lulled into the La La Land mentality that goes with this video. These pilots repeatedly conspired to dive down on these semi-stationary convergence clouds that happen to occur predictably on the fringes of LAX airport.

It may be one thing if they did this in the middle of nowhere, still illegal, but the risk taken would be much less. As it is, they did it in about as bad a location as possible.

So perhaps at this level, something in the form of a grassroots petition could start action against this ill considered 'selfie' (selfish) video taping as it sends the wrong message to the uninformed, who may seek to emulate the practice.

To leave the video up is a disservice to safe flying practice. To take it down without remedy to the damage it may cause, is also a concern.

The ' Vicarious Icarius' youtuber knows he has broken FARs but does not recognize the continuing harm he is doing by leaving the video up.
    I believe the only way to reverse some of the damage done is to make an educational public example of these infractions.
    Something more than a slap on the wrist.

Beyond a pilot's petition from the grassroots, staging up, a letter of rebuke from the EAA organization to the USHPA organization would be informational, educational and very effective. As I said, the USHPA is not responsive to the safety concerns of ordinary hang glider pilots.
    They are more a corporation for the milking of profit out of what use to be a true non profit organization. (USHGA)
    Maybe their legal team might take notice if a representative organization such as the EAA, sent them an informational letter.

I hope this clears up where I'm coming from.
    At this point I would like to get comments on how to move forward, in order to save people, property and Part 103.
    I don't need USHPA in order to fly.
    Part 103, is another story..

Here is an excerpt from the comment section of the video we are talking about.
    Knowing that some negative comments have been deleted, I am surprised that Jonathan D. has let this one through.

Add a public comment...
    Joseph Lorenz

7 hours ago
    How the heck do you safely maintain visual separation from powered aircraft flying in and around clouds like that?? If you're not careful, I fear you'll be prematurely joining your friends who now fly in spirit, or worse, causing it for someone else...
    ----------

Vicarious Icarus (Jonathan D.)

7 hours ago
    There are never any powered aircraft in any of the locations flown in this video except when it is clear and cloud free. Why? Because I'm in the mountains and without combat aircraft terrain following radar autopilot they'd all strike either the mountains or high tension wires. It's a fair a reasonable question and merits a factual answer.

Tell us what you think.
    Signed, Concerned hang glider pilot
    have you considered calling the FAA Safety Hotline? It triggers a mandatory investigation.

Looks like I'm the one being trolled here.
    Someone could have told me that Sam was the moderator? I checked my personal email and found nothing.
    Thanks gang. I came here with a valid safety concern and no one wants to do anything about it. I get that.
    What I don't get is just what I'm not supposed to talk about.
    Can't talk about safety issues/cloud flying and the FARs that covers those?

Sam, if there was indeed a vote for you to speak for everybody, then please spell out more clearly what can, and can not be talked about.
    Aim it at the hard of learning as I've had some brain trauma and a friend who is not a doctor thinks I might have a touch of aspergers.
    Make it clear to all, what can and can't be said. I don't want to be in violation of any rules here.
    Thank you.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Someone could have told me that Sam was the moderator? I checked my personal email and found nothing.
    JBlack - the only moderators on this forum are EAA Staff, and you'll see that phrase, along with the word "Moderator" under their names, so I think Sam B. was just playing with you. He is definitely not a moderator.

That said, the regular full-time moderator is also named Sam, which may have caused some confusion at some point in the thread. The real moderator Sam (Sam Oleson) is out today, so it falls (back) to me to step in and declare that this thread has more than run its course.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    have you considered calling the FAA Safety Hotline?
    Yes.

It triggers a mandatory investigation.
    It seems to trigger something here, just not sure what that is..