Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help from the EAA to save the model airplane hobby

Well, it's not like there are any larger or more important or real pressing issues than model airplane flying for the FAA to concentrate on, like maybe the Boeing Max.
    Let's all go the meeting with the administrator at Airventure and ask him if the FAA really is going to hassle model airplane flyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Well, it's not like there are any larger or more important or real pressing issues than model airplane flying for the FAA to concentrate on, like maybe the Boeing Max.
    Let's all go the meeting with the administrator at Airventure and ask him if the FAA really is going to hassle model airplane flyers.
    The problem is the FAA trods around these things like an elephant. It doesn't even recognize when it is stepping on a bunch of ants. It doesn't matter much to the elephant, but to the ants, it is life or death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    It is a mischaracterization to say that we welcomed ADS-B with open arms. Quoting directly from our comments to the 2008 NPRM,

“EAA is deeply concerned that that FAA is proposing mandatory equipage of a technology largely developed for use by commercial turbine aircraft without also developing practical and economical equipment necessary for the vast majority of the general aviation fleet. … The only ADS-B equipment available today is far too costly for the average general aviation aircraft and can exceed the value of the actual aircraft in the instance of older and/or smaller aircraft. This is not a realistic expectation on the part of the FAA…”

While we acknowledged the safety benefits of ADS-B, we were clear in our opposition to a broad mandate.

When the FAA nevertheless pushed ahead with a broad mandate, we have fought for flexibility in the rule and cheaper equipment whenever possible.
    Tom, I am glad to see that the EAA tried to stand up against the ADS-B mandate. Looking at recent history and aside from the cost burden that it places on GA, it seems to be one of the biggest privacy violations in aviation. All in the name of safety.

Really hope that EAA can make some progress preserving the RC hobby. It is really a bummer that everything has RC has gotten lumped under the title "drone" and everything that represents.

Here is the latest update, outlining our present concerns:
    https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-publica...g-Requirements
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Here is the AMA's government affairs web page which has a template that you can send to the FAA. https://www.modelaircraft.org/about-ama/advocacy

Hello,
    I have been involved in model aviation since the age of 5. I love aviation of all types, it is my passion. Model aviation has been under attack by the FAA
    because they refuse to recognize the difference between traditional model aircraft and drones. The danger to full scale aviation from Joe Blow who buys a drone
    and flies it into the landing pattern of LAX is horrifying to those of us in the model aviation community and agree that some regulations to prevent this needs to
    be applied to drones. Model airplanes are not drones and we are not the problem, never have been and never will be.

I joined The EAA to show my gratitude for the recent support of Model Aviation. The ridiculous regulations and the fact that the FAA has lumped traditional
    model aircraft in to the drone category will effectively erase the hobby. Again, THANK YOU EAA for your support. We need all the help we can get and
    who knows, maybe I build something I can sit in and fly around the cow patch....if that's OK with the FAA.

Quote Originally Posted by T Rabon View Post
    Hello,
    I have been involved in model aviation since the age of 5. I love aviation of all types, it is my passion. Model aviation has been under attack by the FAA
    because they refuse to recognize the difference between traditional model aircraft and drones. The danger to full scale aviation from Joe Blow who buys a drone
    and flies it into the landing pattern of LAX is horrifying to those of us in the model aviation community and agree that some regulations to prevent this needs to
    be applied to drones. Model airplanes are not drones and we are not the problem, never have been and never will be.

I joined The EAA to show my gratitude for the recent support of Model Aviation. The ridiculous regulations and the fact that the FAA has lumped traditional
    model aircraft in to the drone category will effectively erase the hobby. Again, THANK YOU EAA for your support. We need all the help we can get and
    who knows, maybe I build something I can sit in and fly around the cow patch....if that's OK with the FAA.
    Great! Did you send your comments to the FAA?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelj2k View Post
    Great! Did you send your comments to the FAA?
    Yes. I sure hope common sense prevails although they have already shown a complete lack of knowledge or common sense
    or a will to address the real problem...

I will be joining EAA in the near future to support the EAA and the fixed wing portion of the hobby/sport. To do my part, I am on-call to give anyone free RC flying experience on my trainers.
    I am available 7 days a week when the weather warms up. We have two beautiful flying fields that due to the aging of most members, it is mostly deserted all flying season.
    You don't have to join any organization or pay a dime to anyone. Just show up and I will give you 20-30 minutes of stick time. Just trying to give back to this great hobby/sport.
    Me and a local club may be creating an aeromodeling program at our new local YMCA in the near future. There are several acres of open area in back of the Y.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by fliers1; 01-22-2020 at 12:36 PM.

I have been an EAA member since 1995. Just getting registered here on the forum though. I would like to personally thank EAA for their support of the model aviation community. There is no question that we are in for a real fight to retain the hobby anywhere close to what it is today should this proposal go into effect as written. Sad indeed.

Model aviation was the spark that lit the fire for me that eventually led to a career in aviation. I still enjoy the hobby to this day and my two sons are involved as well. About 4 years ago I got back into flying GA and it has become an enjoyable pastime for my sons and I as well. We attended Airventure 2019 and my boys cannot wait to go back again this year. My point here, is that it all leads back to model aviation, where it all began for me.

Once again, thank you EAA for standing in our corner in protest of the FAA Remote ID NPRM.

Travis