Thread: Any Batttery Best

Any Batttery Best

I think my battery may be getting old and am thinking of replacing it now at the annual,. Its a 24 volt Concord in my '88 Bonnaza B36TC with a Contennental TSIO 520 UB,
    Any recommendatiuons? Anything new and better? I used small Odessy one that is 12vold but will crank a big Merlin, dont know if they even make 24 v or if that is best for Bonanza? Thanks

Finally, after trying my best to be patient while my plane sat over at Steamboat at the shop, they phoned just now to say they have started on the annual.

Concordes have been excellent in our Debonair (12 v). Have lasted 3-4 times longer than any Gill we ever had. Haven’t heard of anything better.
    Mike E
    Las Cruces, NM

I had good results with Odyssey batteries in my Starduster and now my Hatz. Does Odyssey make TSO'd batteries? If you need 24V you can use two 12V batteries in series, if it's TSO'd in that configuration.

Dana, the space in the enging compartment is very tight for my Bonanza, changing a battery is a real chore, so 2 would not fit. I did use an Odessy in my other plane, light. small and worked fine, but dont think they make 24 volt ones. I think we will use the same Concord I have if we do replace it, may not need a new one at all, hope not they are expencive>
    Thanks

In my experience Concordes are better than Gills by quite a bit. I have never tried anything else.

They 2nd a & P put in a new Concord, $984 worth. Next time I'll jusr hire Dolly Parton to run on a little treadmill hooked to a generator when I need to start.

Earth-X!
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org