Thread: Smith Miniplane Enthusiasts

Happy Smith Miniplane Enthusiasts

Hello All. I have the opportunity to buy a completed Smith Miniplane but I have heard that the aircraft can be quite challenging to take-off and land. Also, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 190 pounds (with clothes) so I am wondering if I will fit in the cockpit. My total tail wheel time is about 30 hours in Citabrias and Decathlons with 1500 total time. To those familiar with the Miniplane can you please share your thoughts with me. Do you feel that the ground handling might be too challenging and also do you think that I will fit into the cockpit. I have always admired the Miniplane (and all old school homebuilts) and I feel that it would be the perfect weekend flyer. Again, please let me know your thoughts and thank you.

Smith Miniplane

Quote Originally Posted by cjmartinflyers View Post
    Hello All. I have the opportunity to buy a completed Smith Miniplane but I have heard that the aircraft can be quite challenging to take-off and land. Also, I am 6 feet tall and weigh 190 pounds (with clothes) so I am wondering if I will fit in the cockpit. My total tail wheel time is about 30 hours in Citabrias and Decathlons with 1500 total time. To those familiar with the Miniplane can you please share your thoughts with me. Do you feel that the ground handling might be too challenging and also do you think that I will fit into the cockpit. I have always admired the Miniplane (and all old school homebuilts) and I feel that it would be the perfect weekend flyer. Again, please let me know your thoughts and thank you.
    The Smith Miniplane is a stable easy to fly biplane and no more difficult to take off and land than a Luscome or Cessna 120. I knew Frank and his son Donald, and used to meet Donald 6000 ft over Corona and have dogfights chasing each other through the clouds.... long time ago.... Great airplane and perfect weekend flyer.
    vr.... Don Stits

Hi Don. Thank you for you response and your positive comments. I can envision myself having the same fun with the Miniplane. I used to do the same thing with a buddy when we would rent the FBO’s Decathlon and Citabria at the same time (flying over the water between LA and Catalina Island). Flying used to be really fun back then and I am looking forward to getting back to the basics. Don’t get me wrong, any type of flying is great but rolling around the sky beats the doors off of going point A to B. Say, do you think that I will fit into the cockpit or is dieting in my future (I’m 6 feet tall and 190 pounds). Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by cjmartinflyers View Post
    Hi Don. Thank you for you response and your positive comments. I can envision myself having the same fun with the Miniplane. I used to do the same thing with a buddy when we would rent the FBO’s Decathlon and Citabria at the same time (flying over the water between LA and Catalina Island). Flying used to be really fun back then and I am looking forward to getting back to the basics. Don’t get me wrong, any type of flying is great but rolling around the sky beats the doors off of going point A to B. Say, do you think that I will fit into the cockpit or is dieting in my future (I’m 6 feet tall and 190 pounds). Thanks again.
    You should fit. Naturally, sit in it to make sure. Don