Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping at A/V

Camping at A/V

Looking for opinions and suggestions, smart remarks or whatever. I've only had the pleasure of attending A/V three times, the first time, 2011, we stayed at Sleepy Hollow Camp Ground in a small, I'll say cabin, with air matteresses but also an air conditioner. They also have a nice shower house and real toilets. It was pritty nice, although a long walk to the main gate if you didn't want to wait for someone to give you a lift on the golf cart. Also, just an FYI, it's a very short walk to the SOS tent. The second time was 2016 and we drove, mite near 1000 miles and had a 9x13 tent and 12x12 popup canopy, nice cots and self enflating matteresses. Our camp site was the last one on the North end of Stits Rd., again, pretty nice. Also, the SOS tent was just accross the road. The last time was 2018 and we drove again but with a vintage popup camper, the "Ohskosh Hilton" I bought just for this trip and it worked out great. I let the camper go so someone else could enjoy it. The camping spot was just West of Stits Rd. in an unnamed area and we were directly in the flight path of all the ultralights, close to the bus stop and shower trailer. All in all, another good spot. I'm going again in 2020 and was just wondering what areas others have enjoyed. I know it's probably impossible to get the same spots unless you go far in advance which may or may not be the case with me. We may be lucky enouth to fly in and in that case we'll just camp with the plane. Anyway, I've got plenty of time to ponder any and all suggestions and advice anyone has to offer.
    Thanks,
    Bob

I have friends who stay at Rellumtdats (on the corner of Knapp and the Diagonal road ? Waupan?). Very close in to Vintage and there's a couple of food trucks/trailers that are right there.

We camp with the plane in Vintage.

Depends upon what you’re looking for. My priority for camping was a flat dry area. Eventually hooked up with some friends and their friends. They liked be over in the 42nd & Lindbergh area.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Depends upon what you’re looking for. My priority for camping was a flat dry area. Eventually hooked up with some friends and their friends. They liked be over in the 42nd & Lindbergh area.
    I've never been in that section before but on Google Earth it looks good. I would imagin it fills up early. The last spot I camped in we could see the night airshow pretty good.
    Bob

We've been going for 17 years now. We've always stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm CG. Jeff adds to, and updates the campground every year. He's adding a swimming pool this year. WX permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    We've been going for 17 years now. We've always stayed at Sleepy Hollow Farm CG. Jeff adds to, and updates the campground every year. He's adding a swimming pool this year. WX permitting.
    SHFCG is a great place to camp and I have considered going there again for A/V. If I stay there again I'll bring a bicycle !!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    SHFCG is a great place to camp and I have considered going there again for A/V. If I stay there again I'll bring a bicycle !!
    Bob
    IIRC Sleepy Hollow runs a "shuttle" from the camp grounds to the Oasis (also owned by Jeff I believe) and back. The Oasis is right next to the Waukau Ave gate.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    IIRC Sleepy Hollow runs a "shuttle" from the camp grounds to the Oasis (also owned by Jeff I believe) and back. The Oasis is right next to the Waukau Ave gate.

100% correct. My daughter drives one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Where is the Oasis?

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Where is the Oasis?
    It's across the street north, and just a tad east of the bus tower/stop.